Is it normal....

dunl

To have to upgrade the lighting in your tank when you buy plants, because they block out the light?

Because apparently,....uhmmm...in another episode of "Darcy Can't Contain Himself", I bought too many plants at the auction today. :lol:

It depends on the light requirements of the plants, I bought too many too so I spread them around to different tanks with different lighting, and will see how well they do. I may have to move them around in a while to other tanks with different lighting or other places in the tank.

Mine are all jammed into my 29g. It did not seem like a lot at the auction, but when they all went in there it filled my tank!

I think I need better lighting and some way of explaining the cost of the new lighting to Hubby.

Speaking of plants and light. I enjoy doing things backwards. I have the plants and need the lights now. Here is a list of plants I bought anyone have any ideas about how much light I need.

Frogbit

Javamoss

Ricca Flutans

Rotala

Valisineria sp.

Where I live in the boonies fancy lighting is not an option. So I'm wondering if 1watt per gallon is enough for these plants. I'm planning on buying some more of those 33 watt flourescent grow lights to put in my hoods. Any other time I've had plants I've killed them lol. Plants are my nemesis in aquariums and I want to win this time.

Thanks

Brad

One of the easiest things you can do to upgrade your lighting is to buy a couple twin-strip Flourescent fixtures from Home Depot. You can get them and bulbs for less than $20 ea. (4' fixtures are the cheepest).

I use a single 48" with a growlux bulb on my 75g tank and the plants are doing well. Other then when I had 2 huge silver dollars enjoying the salad bar LOL.