My new Yellow Lab juvies

CalgaryFan

Sorry about the horendous pictures, I will get some better ones after the new sand settles a bit, probably tomorrow - and I get them back in the big tank. It's just so damn hard to take a picture of these buggers when you have a shotty camera like mine lol. The pic was taken more for a referance photo, so I can look back, you know

PICT0123.jpg

Edited by CalgaryFan

How big are they?

Are you sure they are yellow labs? They dont' appear to show any of the black on the fins and that one in the middle looks to have an egg spot(does it or is it just the picture?).

Just curious. I know sometimes yellow lab juvies take a while to get their black markings. My F2s took untill about 1 1/2" untill their black was really black. I'd just never seen an egg spot on a lab before.

Oh they are probably some sort of crappy hybrid then. All of them have the black fins, and yes those are egg spots, and I have read that labs do not have egg spots. New subject, what are my "labs" hybrids with?

They look like this one I found on the internet, but not as big and the stripes aren't as black yet. Mine are still small, maybe an inch?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1229772651062517539UimPQY

Edited by CalgaryFan

I really dont' know

That pic in the link looks like a nice lab. I've just never seen or kept a lab that had eggspots. So I was just wondering about it.

If they are only 1" then light black on the dorsal and fins is still normal. As I said, my fry sometimes didn't get their dark black markings untill 1 1/2".

I do know that hybrid labs are very common,especially the "solid yellow" labs. Sometimes they mix them with red zebras or saulosi females

My guess is hybrids with either Met. estherae or Ps. saulosi. First pic, bottom left has barring like a saulosi, but the rest of them look a lot like Met. estherae to me.

Too bad; with all the higher quality yellow labs around, it's too bad you got stuck with hybrids. If you ever make it down to the Hat I could help you out.

Not sure what to do now, since this is my first case in owning hybrids - I don't really have any more tank space, I'm not gonna be inhumane and just kill them - they are still nifty little fish, I will just have to do with them. Thanks for the informative replies, kind of a downer though eh? lol :P

If all yellow labs that have barring on them are hybrids. Then every yellow lab that I've seen in the last 20+ years is a hybrid.

Kyle said that it had barring like a saulosi, not that labs couldn't have barring. It is as far as I know a sign of less than optimal bloodline though for a lab to have prominent barring, especially in older fish.

Exactly what Harold said about the barring; it looks more like the barring found in a saulosi than that found in a lab. I know the pics are fuzzy as well and the colours are probably off a bit as well, but the general shapes of many of them also makes me think they're hybrids. But then again, what do I know, I'm probably the only person in western Canada with wild yellow labs.