ProlificCichlids

BoedenAlfonso

I have Kribs that seem to do quite well.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Rainbow cichlids are pretty much like convicts. They stay small(4-5"), breed very easily and have large spawns.

Are you looking for a certain purpose(ie. feeders, breed to sell)?

There are lots of prolific cichlids. Shellies are easy to breed and they have pretty big spawns, but the fry are tiny and are slow growers.

Completely depends on your definition of 'prolific'. Just about any Malawian could be considered prolific (mbuna or hap); I've had females breed again within 2-3 weeks of releasing a brood, and depending on the species, you could probably get upwards of 50 fry per spawn. The larger the females, the larger their broods are going to be. What I like about the mouthbrooding cichlids is that the fry are very easy to raise once they're released, and it's not unheard of to have all of them survive.

Size for size though, I haven't seen any mouthbrooders that have broods as large as those of the Haps from Lake Victoria. I've had broods of probably 50 from a 2.5" P. nyereri (pretty sure Harold can back this one up!)

Yeah Actually I'm looking for a fish to breed to feed my young calvus on, it sounds kinda cruel, but its like bringing chicken home for dinner. So I'm kinda looking for an easy fish to breed that dont get too big and does'nt need too many conditions to meet, you know the "Just Add Water" type fish.

o yeah and thanks for all the input ever since i've found this site all my fish keeping questions have been answered. :D