Sad swortails.

Terrie Lee

I moved my two new female pineapple swordtails into my 5g betta tank. It has been a whole day and they are sill hiding under the big clump of java moss and looking morose. They are very large for swordtails could it be that a 5g is too small for them? It is hexagonal and I am not sure of the dimensions.

The water is the same as the tank they were in and I put a established filter on the tank before moving them.

They are very large for swordtails could it be that a 5g is too small for them?

Sword tails are active fish and need room to move around. The minimum size you should keep them in is a 15g tank. 12*12*24.

Sigh.

I thought so.

I was trying to keep the girls separate because they are lovely pineapple swordtails.

I got them at the auction. I want to keep as many of those gorgeous fry as I can.

They were looking a bit more active at feeding time today.

Aw nutz........ they aren't going to drop those fry if they are stressed are they?

I am tempted to squeeze them and see if fry shoot out.

(I am very much kidding on that.)

Aw nutz........ they aren't going to drop those fry if they are stressed are they?

Probably not.

just give up now and sell them as feeders... -roll-

Never!

I moved the girls back into the big tank. They seem happier and do spend most of their time running away from the male. I just hope they drop those fry on the java moss provided and I can catch a few and put them in the fry tank.

can you maybe put a breeder net in the main tank. That way they can still see the male and if they drop the fry they will be caught in the breeder net?

Dont know if this will work.. But thought I would mention it. LOL

I strongly caustion against the breeder net idea... I have seen more fry literally sucked through the 'holes' on even the finest nets... the rest of the fish in the tank will simply consider this a bit of sport and you'll end up with not-a-one at the end of the day.

I used to keep swords - reds, pineapples and some wild-greens - but they all were terrible as far as the females dieing for no reason, bloating up during birth and exploding (talk about a mess) and just generally being really 'weak' fish. Slightest variance in water params, and they would go first, everytime. I had Ottos that made it through spikes that the Swords would fold on.

Since I moved them back to the 29g they are sprightly as ever. I think they just did not like the confined space. They also like hanging out with their boyfriend who "motivates" them to move around. I think they are mature, but not quite old. I will look for changes in behavior as they age even further.

Don't fish also lose color as they age?