My Discus living room tank

mitsukuni

My living room showtank (if I could be so vain) is coming along nicely, and I'm *almost* done stocking it...

Here's my setup:

-60 gallon tall (48x12x24): 2 heaters for an almost constant 29.7*, timer operated airstone that runs when lights out/twin T5's run daytime, PennPlax Cascade 1000 canister, CO2 injection via yeast reactor...

-12 largish Amazon swords, couple of patches of Java moss, and three large pieces of driftwood.

-9 Emperor tetras, 2 Rams (m&f, and have already laid eggs twice), 1 bristlenose, 2-2" blue turqs, 2-3" red turqs, and 2-3" blue-diamonds.

This is where I intended to stop, let the Discus grow out, enjoy the tank. But I've fallen for the Tangerine Discus. I've almost got myself convinced that 2 more discus won't hurt anybody.... :& I am doing 2 w/c's per week of about 40-50% each... What do you all think? Just two more? Those Tangerines are so nice... :wub: (pic of current setup attached: sorry about the clarity - bristles took the night off, and so you're seeing a little algae on the front)

Phil

Edited by mitsukuni

It might be worth it to purchase a pressurised CO2 canister, instead. You don't need much, so a large system isn't necessary. IMO, Yeast CO2 fluctuates quite a bit, which may not be good with discus.

The simplest pressurised system I have is a paintball CO2 canister and regulator. I bubble the CO2 into the intake of a powerhead (1-2 bubbles/sec would be fine in your tank) - plug the PH into your timer, so it doesn't disperse CO2 at night.

Your plants and fish will love you!!

Oh, and I don't see the problem with adding 2 more small fish right now - you're planning for a bigger tank anyway, aren't you! ;)

Might be pushing your luck adding 2 more Discus; the rate is 10 gallons per Discus, and with your other fish, you'd definitely be overstocked. As for water changes, twice a week at 50% is the standard rate for Discus, therefore I'd recommend adding at least another 50% per week if you decide to go for the last 2 - especially if they're small, and you don't want them stunted. Or, as mentioned, get a larger tank.

IME, it's way easier to keep the Discus healthy with stellar maintenence and reducing stress factors, than trying to cure them later.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice above... duly noted.

I thought I would update this thread, since I *finally* got my dream discus - 2 tangerine dream discus. I moved the little blue turqs to another tank, and will stick with 6 discus in this 60g. I'll put up some pics when I get a chance - love their colors, and real nice contrast with the 2 blue diamonds and the 2 red-turqs.

Unless I add a few dithers, this tank is stocked. I promise... :shifty:

Phil

Glad to here they are all well.

Its always nice to get your dream ones.

Discus are happy kept in groups of 6 and more.

I think only when there are smaller numbers in the group you need dithers.

And even in that case you already have 9 tetras, which would serve as dithers.

Good luck and cant wait to see pictures.

I want to see a pick of the tank!!

Matthew, as soon as I get it shaped up (its a bit of a mess, since I hauled the rams out the other day when they laid eggs) I'll do some pic-takin'.... stay tuned... :thumbs:

Put all of the discus together until they get to 4-5 inches. The more juveniles you can grow out together the better. They will feel more comfortable and grow out better. I found 8 discus in a tank to be way better then 6, and that was growing out in a 55. After they have gotten to 4 inches, then pick who you want to keep and where. Once you have a pair, you may find that is all you want to keep in the 60 gallon.

Good luck.

Kevin