New member - New Tank

Fishy

Hello all, been reading your forums for the last few days now. Some good info and advice here as well as other sites I have visited.

I started a new tank set up a few weeks ago and tried to cycle my tank with some mbunas. Bad Idea. They all died. I should have started this tank with either a fishless tank cycle or cheap hardy fish!

Could not find out for sure why the mbunas died, but I think it was because I used water from outside from a garden hose to fill the tank. I tested my water everyday for amnonia and it was fine. The mbunas all died within a week one at a time, I bought 8 of them. Could have been copper in the water or something in the garden hose. I took a water sample to the Lfs and he could not find anything wrong with the water as well.

Anyways I started a new cycle, cleaned everything in the tank with a diluted pure bleach mixture and rinsed throughly. Filled the tank from the kitchen using buckets and treated the water with conditioner. Let the tank (55g) run for 2 days with no fish, and then added 5 tiger barbs. On day 4 I added 10 more tiger barbs. I will not add any more, just using them to cycle the tank and they are neat to watch shoal in schools. :)

I have been testing my water everyday, no amnonia at all. I decided to test for nitrites, again nothing. So I then tested for Nitrates and came up with a reading of 5 ppm. Is it possible that my tank cycled that fast? Or do I have to wait a little longer before I get amnonia spikes? Im also using Stability by Seachem to help with new tank syndrome and bacteria. My ph is 8.2. Water temp is 76 F

The tiger barbs will eventually be moved to another smaller tank once the cycle has been completed on this tank.

Any suggestions on a good mix of african mbunas for this 55g tank? I want to eventually go into breeding them as well. Possibly 3-4 different species maybe in groups of 4-5 with very distinct colours?

Good luck with your new tank. I"m not sure why your mbuna died. Maybe you jsut got a bad batch and they would have died anyways. But definately not a good idea to cycle a tank with them.

Since you had a second chance to cycle your tank i woudl have chosen to fishless cycle it. This is a good methode to use with mbuna as it lets you add most of your stocklist right away. I find it better because all the fish are added at once,there for there is no fighting like ther is when fish are added a few each week. With the fish cycling way, each week you add a new fish. Each week your fish have to sort out a new pecking order which causes possible fighting. Just sometime to think about trying next time.

So what kind of fish are you planning on adding?

I agree with Rahim about the stocking list, forget demasoni unless you plan on making that 55 a species tank, in which case get approx 20 dems for that tank.

Yellow labs work well in a 55, and instead of the M. johanni I would recommend Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. (which are often confused with the johanni)

They can be seen here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=756

The colors & aggression levels would compliment each other nicely.

A friend of mine spent 5 months on Lake Malawi & has wild caught breeding groups of both of those species, so if you are interested in breeding some quality fish let me know & perhaps I can hook you up.

Will do, I check the water daily. I also watch the amount that is feed to them, twice daily and all the food is eaten.

Too bad about the demasoni, those are great loking fish. Maybe when I get another tank I will get them their own tank :P

Thanks for the offer RD, I will let you know once im ready for my cichlids once the cyclying is over and I transfer the barbs to a new tank. I really do want to get into breeding a few for sure. :)

And I appreciate all of your comments here, some good advice.

Quote>>I have been testing my water everyday, no amnonia at all. I decided to test for nitrites, again nothing. So I then tested for Nitrates and came up with a reading of 5 ppm.<<

Fishy:

Keep on testing the water numbers. If you are getting NO3 readings and "NO' NH3 or No2's the tank's [ filter] has cycled. Congraudlation!

OR - you may have NO3'S IN YOUR TAP WATER !! already.

Have you tested the raw tap water.?? Always good to know the parameters of the water you use for the W/C's.

EX: - Crowsnest Pass tap water numbers:

pH= 8.4

GH= 180 ppm

KH= 140 ppm

Ca = 80 ppm

Iron=0.0 ppm [ non-cleated and cleated tested]

NH3- 0.0 ppm [ we are fortunate, no need for it].

Cholorine= 0.1 ppm [ we are fortunate]

NO3= 0.0 ppm [ mountain water, nevery been used before]. :smokey:

N02= 0.0

Depending on where you live in Edmonton, the tap water numbers can differ, [ different water sources are used for different parts of the city].

Keep us updated on the tank, Good luck.

No I haven't tested my raw tap water yet. But yes those NO3 could be there in the raw water already. So far my daily tests are going fine, tommorow is day 7 of the cycle.

GH= 180 ppm

KH= 140 ppm

Ca = 80 ppm

Iron=0.0 ppm

What kits do I need to test for those?

Edited by Fishy