Resealing Aquarium

FishManTy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys talking about the solid frame, or the pieces that get siliconed together to make a frame on large aquariums.

Im sure if you talked to someone who makes tanks, say Bow Valley (ugh), they could hook you up with some. The solid piece ones, will probably be a bit more difficult. I just got my 90gallon and it was made on a solid frame'd. It came from Aquatic Ornamental (See vendor review for more info on them). Im sure if you talked to Donny there, he could ask his tank supplier to sell some frames at a very good price.

Ty

• 2 weeks later...

For an update: I bought Ty's tank that started this thread on the weekend of the 15th, and am planning to disassemble it and put it back together again - slowly. I don't have time to do it all at once, so I bought it as a long term (and hopefully very satisfying) project.

Well, only got a bit of work done on this, as I have had the flu bug lately. The trim is off the top, the sides are sliced, and now I need to separate the bottom from the sides. Hoping to get that done this week.

Sounds like you are doing a good job.

I have repaired so many tanks. the secret = go slow/be careful.

e.g.

Remove all old silicone. COMPLETELY !

Completely clean all surfaces.

Use a great silicone to "glue" everything back together.

Smokey

B)

Update - Jan.30th

The tank is apart, and completely separated. The frame cracked in a couple of places, but considering the tank looks to be about 30 years old, that's not surprising. I will be gluing the trim cracks first, and let them set for a while, then continuing on with the tank rebuild.

The tank surprised me in the fact that the bottom was the LAST piece put into place. It sits on the bottom frame of the trim, and the sides and ends come around it, instead of everything sitting on it like you normally see now. I have to put it back together again, unless I plan to re-cut the glass and not use the trim again.

No rushing, I am happy to have that completed for now. As I don;t have a heated garage to re-seal it in, I will probably wait a few weeks, and do no more except clean the glass up.

Dunl B)

I actually just re-sealed a 75 this weekend. It was a POS with white silicone, and a frame that was cracked in many places. Other that what people have said being time consuming I think !!??? I did a good job. Just for piece of mind I am going to epoxy the cracked frame with paintable epoxy putty and paint the frame as it is an ugly wood color. I am also going to go toa glass shop today and get a piece cut for a center brace. I am really not sure whether it will help, but it will help keep my shorts clean when filling it.

I did not completeley disassemble it, just did a interior job. Scraped it with a paint scraper (for glass) cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and reappied.

I was going to get a new one instead, however I have never resealed a tank before and wanted to try it. Also the tanks that are being made these days look so flimsy in comparison to the 3/8 thick glass on this one.

I did find however at Crappy tire when buying my silicone a new product called Marine silicone (for boats) which apparently sticks to old silicone. I didn't use it, but for a small leak it may work.

I completely disassembled the tank because the side seam that FishManTy was worried about looked like it would probably blow - and after taking it apart, I'm sure it would have at some time in the near future. Can't be positive, but the way that seam separated compared to all the others in the tank, it had me worried.

The way I looked at it is this - for $50, I get a good chance to learn how to rebuild a tank. If it doesn't work out, I break the glass, whatever - I'm only out $50 and time.

Plus, I'm getting some advice from a fellow Cichlid-Forum member who is planning to combine it all into an article.

Dunl

I just picked up my brace from a glass shop. What a joke. $32. For a 3/8 sheet of glass? 13 inches by 16 7/8.

Ahould have checked that out a bit further. The person I talked to said it would be "next to nothing".

That guy must be rich, if $32 is next to nothing!

I think they bent you over backwards on that one.

Hey Dunl, the seam that I was worried about, it came apart extremely easy? Good thing I or you didn't fill it to the top. Would have ruined my hardwood!

Good luck with the reconstruction

Ty

It's really hard to say if it would have blown full or not. Probably would have just leaked like crazy down the side, as the bottom and other corners were pretty solid.

But yeah.....would have done a major job on the hardwood if it leaked. :o

How did you do Dunl? My tank holds water. Has since last night.

Stupid glass brace didn't work so well unfortunatley. Broke off at the front. I am really not even sure if I will repair it as I got an email back from Hagen saying I didn't need it.

Too busy at work to even think about going near the tanks since I took it apart. Like I said, it's going to be a long term job...I would think another three weeks at the earliest, a couple of months at the latest...

• 8 months later...

Well, finally got off my butt and did some work on this tank. The trim is being painted black now (instead of that gross fake walnut colour), and the glass has been cleaned up. Once the trim is done, I'll be siliconing that sucker this weekend sometime.