Resealing Aquarium

FishManTy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resealed tank. "Crappy fake walnut stain" trim has been replaced with black paint. The seams are large and goopy, but I went for safe over "looks good, as I am going to be covering them anyway.

f1f1fedc.jpg

The tank sits on the stand right now like this, as the stand is too wide. Right at the front, and about 5 inches or so left at the back....

f1f1fc3d.jpg

The plan is to cover the corners with a narrow oak trim to match the stand, and enclose the leftover space at the back with more oak that will hide hoses, cords, etc., plus a canopy on top.

f1f1fd58.jpg

The stand itself is plumbed for a sump, which I may or may not decide to go with. The whole thing will sit flush against a wall, from top of the canopy to the bottom. I'm hoping to hinge the top so that it will open without needing any area behind the stand.

Should look good Darcy.

Why all the angst about the "crappy fake walnut stain" trim, if it's all going to be covered anyway? Is this going to be fresh water, or salt water? If fresh, I personally wouldn't waste my time with a sump. Kinda pointless unless you feel the need for extra water volume.

Should look good Darcy.

Why all the angst about the "crappy fake walnut stain" trim, if it's all going to be covered anyway? Is this going to be fresh water, or salt water? If fresh, I personally wouldn't waste my time with a sump. Kinda pointless unless you feel the need for extra water volume.

Well, the trim was decided on before I decided how I was going to do the stand, but even so, if the tank and stand ever separate, it won;t look like it just stepped out of the 70's. :)

As for the sump, if I ever decide to make it a saltwater tank, I'll definately put one in there. If fresh, I don't know yet. I actually haven't decided what to do with it yet at all... :unsure:

Yup, a couple of AC 500's would do the job. I'm also planning to paint the background flat black like I did with the 77 I have, and that will cover them from the inside.

Thanks for the nice looking stand to go with it.

Oh, sorry-missed this. I doubt you will need a cross brace if it never had one in the first place. I have seen lots of 77-80 gal. tanks (3/8" glass) without.

Plus, I know of a few members that have even removed the brace off their 90 gal. without any problems. Not sure about that one though...Glass flexes, but I don't think I would want to find out the hard way :bang1:

Darcy, if you decide to go with AC's, take some of your black silicone & brush it on over the intakes, as well as the portion that enters the tank from the pump motor.

Those AC intakes won't be just hard to see, they'll become invisible. ;)

I just finished getting my 3 intakes ready, and I have a customer who's sending me some Visi-Therm Stealth heaters as a gift. Solid black, and indestructible.

My equipment will become part of the black background ....