Resealing Aquarium

FishManTy

This is not a DIY... I don't trust myself to seal off a 75 gallon. I wanna know if anyone here can reseal it for me (Name the price), or knows anyone who can? Im thinking I could talk to dennis about having the aquarium brought to who ever makes his tanks, and get them to reseal. I'd rather not replace it, because Im poor.

Or, if its REALLY easy to reseal an aquarium, let me know, and I'll give it a try!

Hey, Mod, wanna copy this into DIY for me aswell?

Help! My yellows think they are in heaven in the new 75 gallon, but Im gonna have to either move em back to the 33 until I get it fixed, or let them swim on the floor when it gives way. Looking at one of the joints, it appears algae has made it 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the silicone... Im guessing that means the water has made it that far through and is almost about to break out. I resealed the corners, but not between the panes of glass, and thats where the algae is appearing!

HELP

FAST

Btw, the aquarium is running 3/5 full so that I don't give it extra stress, so don't worry, im sorta using my head.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my best solution for you: Go to www.cichlid-forum.com, and click on the discussion link. Once on the forums page, click search, and type in resealing. There are currently 45 different threads concerning resealing.

The DIY forum there also has a great sticky on silicone for aquarium use.

I've never done it myself before, but in a nutshell, you split the silicone with a razor blade, take off all the old stuff, clean the glass with acetone, and then seal it back up with new silicone. I can't really see it being that hard.

For a 75 gallon, I would take probably four or five stabs at doing it, considering the cost of resealing versus purchasing a new one.

Second best solution: when you are frustrated enough to give the tank away free, call me. :hey:

Good luck with it - know you can handle this. :beer:

Dunl

I have resealed a number of tanks and although it is not a big deal it is time consuming. You have to remove all the old silicone and clean the area well with acetone or rubbing alcohol. Use a new sharp blade and take your time. Do not remove the silicone from between the joints. Pick up a good quality aquarium safe silicone. I use GE constructions grade 1200 series. Most have a tendency to over apply the silicone which is not required. You can do this, all it takes is some time. Allow the newly applied silicone to cure for a couple of days prior to filling it back up.

Rick

Rick ...... If that algae is showing up "between the panes of glass" would that not require the tank being taken completely apart? I would think that the greatest strength of the seal is between the panes of glass. (but what do I know?)

I resealed the corners, but not between the panes of glass, and thats where the algae is appearing!

A lot of work, and maybe anal retentive, but I would completely disassemble the whole side and reassemble for peace of mind.

And probably the whole thing if I was really worried.

Rick ...... If that algae is showing up "between the panes of glass" would that not require the tank being taken completely apart? I would think that the greatest strength of the seal is between the panes of glass. (but what do I know?)
I resealed the corners, but not between the panes of glass, and thats where the algae is appearing!

if he said that the algae was through to the areas between the joints then I missed that part. If the silicone between the joints is compromised with algae then the glass will have to be removed, edges scraped and new silicone applied. This is a lot more work, especially if there is more than one pane involved in which case you need to provide a gap normally done using round toothpics between the glass. Put in the new bead and gently remove the toothpics. Not too bad however once you get beyond one pane of glass I wouldn't bother. I did a 40 g tank just because I wanted to give it a try and it worked out o.k. I had a 20 g tank sitting empty on the floor one day and accidently kicked in the side pane of glass. No problem eh, I had some extra glass so I started taking it apart during which I broke the end pane of glass. It was about that time that I called a fellow ASW members who fixes tanks and as he was coming over with some glass tops for me, he picked it up, repaired it like the pro. he is and the tank was back up and running in a couple of days. But for just a leaky seal , I would scrape it good and reapply a new bead of silicone. If done properly it should be o.k

Rick

FishManTy, your sorta between the rock and a hard place... :smokey:

Two choices as i see it:

1) -repair it.

or

2) - sell as a reptile, etc. tank.

My reasoning: eight years as a professional tank builder.

MPE _ It take's twice as much time to repair a tank as opposed to building a new one, especially if you have to disassemble the tank, first.

To only remove all the surface silicone, clean up, prep and reseal a tank, about 5 to ten hours. Plus time to go to the doctors to get your index finger removed from your ear [ siliconed ]. :smokey: :smokey: j/k.

To disassembel a tank, remove all the old silcone, clean, prep and then reassemble/silicone the tank ~20 to 25 hours. Plus, the chance a plate of glass may be broken !! Been there, done it.. :angry::angry:

As many members have expierenced / stated, repairing a leaking/broken tank is time comsuming. Plus you will need a dedicated work well ventulated area. Then there is the smell and mess... :cry: :tongue: !

If and I only suggest this as an alternative: SELL THE TANK, GRAB THE CASH AND GET A BRAND NEW ONE. :rolleyes::)

I understand Gold's can get you a good deal.

Smokey

B)

Just some suggestions, based on some of my expierences.

Thanks everyone for you amazingly FAST response!

Smokey, I think Im gonna take the safe route out and sell the tank as a reptile/turtle/newt tank. Its right now half full and holding. IT was 3/4 full the other day for alteast 36hours, no problems.

So, with that! Go to the buy/sell section if you need a tank that can SAFELY hold 1/2 of its potential! Cheap Cheap!

Because that is how long it seems to take to do a proper job.. New silicone will not adhere to old dirty silicone. Any surface contamination will not alow silicone to properaly adhere., etc....

It is not hard physical work, it is just time consuming!

Sure a quick cover job can be done... however.... :angry:

I have numerous 10 to 33 gallon tanks with either broken glass or leaks; Why- in most case I would rather spend the time building a brand new tank, than the hours to repair an old leaky tank. Working with glass is a bit more "risky" than any other type of material.

Many friends have commented on how they ended up breaking a sheet of glass while repairing a leaker. :smokey: :smokey: Can you imaginge the cost of 12 square feet of 12 mil. glass x2 :wub:

HTH

Smokey

B)

BTW - people do not realize it, but the trim on a tank is worth more then the tank, in some case...lol.

>>quote>>And why would building it back together take 20-25hrs? << time to completely disassemble a tank, not just reseal the inside.

Smokey

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a used 55 gallon tank and had a seam blow about 3/4 of the way down. Removed trim. removed panel of glass, repaired as above. Started because I thought I could cheap out and could't quit as I had started but would never do it again. Sometimes money is worth more than time, plus had to get new trim.

Bought a used 55 gallon tank and had a seam blow about 3/4 of the way down. Removed trim. removed panel of glass, repaired as above. Started because I thought I could cheap out and could't quit as I had started but would never do it again. Sometimes money is worth more than time, plus had to get new trim.

where do you get the black trim from?. I have been trying to source that stuff out around Winnipeg and nothing here.

Rick