Fifteenth try for my girl

HOSStile

My little girl is determined to be a mama, second clutch in 2 weeks. I figure if they are still there tomorrow, good chance of babies.

Congratulations,

Don't be disappointed if the eggs are gone though. For some reason raising fry is a learning process for discus - not everything is by instinct. As a result they may eat their eggs, and then next time eat their wigglers, and then next time bring their fry to the filter intake, and then next time forget they have fry ect. ect., but if you have a pair now it is just a matter of time.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin

• 2 months later...

Update :smokey: after about 10 attempts I looked at where my girl usually laid her eggs and spotted about a dozen wrigglers stuck there. This is in a heavy planted 90 gal. with CO2 and plain Calgary water. Now waiting to see if they make free swimmer stage. -ham-

How the heck did you do that?

Been trying to get mine to the wiggler stage for A REALLY LONG TIME.

I have two pairs that lay every week.

Eggs are fertilized too.

GETTING MAD HERE!

i was thinking my water is too hard.

Whats your hardness reading?

I swear i have done everything and now im planning for a water softner or trying rain water first, before i decide to give up.

By the way congrats and good luck.

Just know i am extremely jealous of you. :thumbs:

Edited by Shayesmommy

Well it looks like someone ate the wrigglers :( but they lay eggs every week now. My water tests as follows. This is Calgary water in a heavily planted tank with CO2

KH 6dKH 107 ppm

GH 4-5 dGH 89.5 ppm not sure on this one hard to see color shift with my tester

PH 2 different tests 7.2

Total AK 80ppm

I am trying to decide whether to remove wrigglers when I see them, or wait for parents to get it right.

Harold if this pair is in your community discus tank, you may want to consider moving them to a breeding tank (30 gal or so). Unless the fry attach to the parents, the likelihood of raising them is probably very slim. This would be much easier for the fry if the parents were separated.

Wrigglers again, I welcome suggestions but I am thinking to leave them in there. Meanwhile I am setting up a 30 for the parents but that probably won't be ready for 2 weeks with fishless cycling. Here is a picture, you can just see them at the joint of the AC intake. Last time I shut that AC down, (I have 2 running), she ate the babies.

You could cage the wigglers, so mom or dad can't eat them or anyone else.

I tried it, but that girl did everything and everything to eat the eggs. and she would knock the cage down.

I cant think of anything else for while they are still in the main tank.

But just some info i learned.

Once they are in their own tank and if mom keeps eating the eggs. Remove mom and leave dad. He will raise the babies on his own.

I think that it is more likely that mom eats them , then dad.

HTH

Jen