Hello From Calgary

salon_1928

A big hello to everybody on AlbertaAquatica. I'm probably the biggest newbie on this forum - my tank has been set up for just one week now. For about the last year my wife and I have been mulling over the idea of getting her aquarium up and running, both for ourselves and our 2 kids. It had been laying unused in our basement since we moved into our house 5 years ago. With Christmas coming up, we finally decided to take the plunge and get things going.

On the recommendation of a friend I took a trip to Gold Aquariums last week. With out a doubt, it was by far the best decision we've made - a BIG thanks to Albert and John for their help. There is TONS of information online these days and I've read a lot of it but it doesn't replace the excellent advice of your local retailers.

Ok - I'm only a few days in, but I'm pretty excited. I had my tank set up and running on December 8th (Wednesday). By Friday everything looked ready so I picked up my first fish - 3 Labidochromis caeruleus. I'm pleased to say that they look great. They settled in nicely and have staked out their respective turfs. I know its early and it will be a while until my tank is running optimally but they just look great. When things are more established, I plan on adding some Ps. Acei.

Cheers everyone,

Stu

what size tank did you set up???

Oh and welcome!!!!

It's a 30 gallon tank. I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out. I added some simple structure: a broken terra cotta pot/cave, a cave made with some golfball-sized river rock and a piece of slate, a cave/tunnel made with an ABS plastic 2- inch "T" plumbing joint (appologies to any plumbers out there but I don't know what else to call it) and some fake plants. I coated the tunnel with silicon and gave it a covering of gravel before it went in the tank so it blends in nicely and actually looks quite natural. One of my Labs is in their all the time with its head just poking out of the entrance. I'll post a photo once I can dig up my digital camera.

Other equipment:

Aquaclear 300

Jager 100 Watt heater

Cheers,

Stu

a BIG thanks to Albert and John for their help.  There is TONS of information online these days and I've read a lot of it but it doesn't replace the excellent advice of your local retailers.

OK, I just couldn't escape my first post without saying something moronic. I meant Albert and Dennis of course...

Stu :blush: