Galaxy Rasbora Fry

DJay

Hi All,

You'll have to pardon the bad pics but I thought I'd post a few shots of some of my Galaxy Rasbora fry. They're slowly starting to change from super microscopic to just microscopic :lol: , which makes trying to get even a half decent shot (with a less than brilliant camera) really tough. Right now I only have about a dozen or so but they've not been difficult to get them to spawn so hopefully I'll have more for the future. Anyway I hope you enjoy them ... really they're in there, look closely :D .

DJay

dsc02241ye3.th.jpg dsc02236oe0.th.jpg dsc02238ui5.th.jpg

Edited by DJay

Now you will have to share how you got them to spawn for the other people who have them. The more people breeding the better for what's left of the wild stock.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this. I ended up keeping about a dozen or so of the last spawn. They have grown up quite nicely and the males have colored up decently. I've been thinking about making a more serious effort to get a new generation (F2) out of these as my original adults (I assume wild caught) have all expired. I'm not sure if the reason the adults didn't survive longer was because they were fairly old when I got them, if they naturally have a shorter lifespan, or if they simply didn't last because of something I did (or didn't do). I'll try to get a few shots in the next couple of days.

DJay

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I later found all his galaxys in the buy and sell looks like he got rid of them. I'll shoot him a pm and see if he remembers the set up he had when they were breeding.

Sorry for the lack of response until now. Although I visit, I don't often have time to post. I keep mainly poison dart frogs and only have a few tanks filled with water :) My galaxy rasbora set up was pretty straight forward although the tank itself that they were in was a little unusual. They were in a long and low, 1970's metal framed, slate bottomed tank of about 5 or 6 gallons (a guess). Probably about 18 inches long and 6 inches high (again, a guess). Good old Edmonton tap water, no substrate, just the slate bottom. Conditioned males and females primarily with Hikari blood worms and brine shrimp and some flake food on occasion. Lots of java moss on the bottom and a few chunks of Anubias barteri/nana. From what I remember (it was a while ago) after a few days of heavy feeding I'd either take out the parents or partition them off in the tank (the cool think about this old tank is that it has slots in the metal frame to slide in pieces of glass to section it off ... perhaps it was originally designed to hold bettas?) I'd start to see fry after a few days and begin feeding infusoria and then microworms. I had bred Microrasbora erythromicron (a similar looking fish) in the same way and so it really wasn't too problematic.

Wish I had some secret to success that I could report but it seemed pretty uncomplicated at the time :D

Any questions that pop up, feel free to ask.

Any questions that pop up, feel free to ask.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the info! As I am sure Galaxy rasboras haven't changed their breeding behaviour in the last 3 years, this information is as valid today as it would have been then. Nice to know that they will spawn in our rock hard waters of the majority of Alberta!

I wasn't aware that Galaxy rasboras were in a precarious position in the wild. Anyone in Alberta breeding them, or seen them around the LFS?

Good thread.

Thanks

Dan