kick frame?

dunl

A kick frame is a frame that sits about 1"-2" inches from the edge of the stand all around the inside bottom.

Here is a lame pic that I did in paint. The top one is the bottom view, and the other one is the front view.

stand.jpg

I hope that this helps.

Brad

*edit* I added the pic.

Edited by snaggle

usualy a kick frame as it is called in the above mentioned design is just inset in the front like kitchen and bathroom cabinets. It is normaly a piece of trim used to cover the ends of the gables (ends).

Simple strong and stable would be great. Just planning to put a tank in my school. :smokey:

This design does not look simple, strong nor stable. I build houses for a living and I'm scratching my head at these instructions. From what I can see of the plans, you have a 3/4" sheet of plywood and eight upright 2x4's holding up a 135G tank. There are a couple of 2x4 boxes and some 1/4" plywood wrapped around the uprights for torsional support and asthetic design.

I'd be afraid to breathe in front of this thing, let alone stand next to it. I'm not sure the person who designed this stand knew what he/she was doing or was incapable of conveying their idea into a comprehensible set of instructions.

I went to the GARF site and used the DIY stand calculator. This time the mention of a kick frame does not appear. I'm assuming they were refering to a toekick frame as snaggle suggested. The instructions you have make this 'kick frame' smaller than the aquarium's footprint. Since it does not appear on the diagrams, I have no idea what they were intending to do with the pieces.

I would look for another design. Unfortunately I don't have time to draw up any adequate suggestions. You need to find a site (or library book?) that has clearly written instructions and reference illustrations that are more realistic than those provided.

From looking over their site, I'm wondering if the people behind GARF are just some well-intentioned whack jobs. :shock:

BooUrns... Well Said.

The directions with the tools needed are the best. 1 - portable OR table power saw!

How about the " screw gun " with the phillips bit... cause we all know they make the best wood screws!

Pictures of that would be cool. Don't bother with the ones of the store bought....I get scared enough looking at them when I go in there. :lol:

If not i have a simple and much stronger design.

My design can be made to look nice, but it would require a router.

Jay, got links? Descrip? Pics?

k, found a old pic of the tank. i believe the cat ate my camera cable.

this was the first stand i've built myself. design appeared solid enough for a 75~and simple enough to slap together.

compare this to any store bought stand.

no 'screw gun' required. i just used my palms lol...

1stbatch022.jpg