A Worthy Stand?

powerviolence

Hey everyone. I am brand new to the hobby and had a question about a possible stand. I just got a 33 gallon tank from my parents but no stand. Now I can afford a stand however I came across something from Ikea that would be perfect for me as it has the perfect dimensions for my tank. It's made of all pine and no fibreboard or anything along those lines. I've had a few people say that it would should do fine but I wanted to get some other takes on it. Thanks and I look forward to using this site.

53501_PE156829_S4.jpg

I would think it should do the trick .. Personally I would add some side to side support across the back though. (better safe then sorry and wet/electrocuted)

IKEA - Idiots Kan Even Assemble.

Sorry just a tag that rolled out one day when doing some work in the sales office of the local radio station and IKEA came up in the conversation.

I see nothing wrong per say, as long as no one pushes on one end of the tank and folds that cabinet up. That is one of the reasons when you buy a bookcase you nail that back panel on it when you assemble it, the panel doesn't add strength but it keeps it from racking. And if you notice the "LFS" stands have the back panel too. At the very least I would put in a diagonal brace across the back.

Agreed, should be fine. While you're at IKEA, pick up one of those metal diagonal shelf reinforcements, and you should be good to go - they're with the "GORM" shelves. That would give it good side to side strength. Here is the shelving system I'm referring to - the metal "X" across the back would give your stand some extra insurance...

16706_PE100979_S4.jpg

Edited by mitsukuni

Just a quick update. I picked this up today and wow is it awesome. It's so solid, and there is not even a chance of folding up when pushing on the sides. You can buy small shelves that slide in the groves you see in the picture, as well as a large plastic bin that will slide in one of the top grooves and would be great for holding anything that gets wet, like for example a net. It's called the Trofast and runs at $99. You can find it in the kids section just in case any of you were curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I see one potential problem with the stand. It appears that the top piece is not sitting on top of the end pieces but is only attached with screws on the ends. To be safe I would add plywood panels on each side as syb65 suggested. To further strengthen it you can apply wood glue as well. Another option is to just place a solid pine bord on the top that covers the entire stand. You can pick one up at Home depot for about $20.

Edited by patrick