electric blue ID

ABwildrose

Oh yeah, those 2 species will most definitely cross, and that's exactly why I asked about juvie fryeri having spots.

The only fryeri looking fish that I've seen with spots (as juvies) were hybrids.

My question is this .......... has anyone who raises fryeri seen SPOTS on their juvie fish? I haven't, but I also don't breed them.

I have plenty of pics of my male as he matured, but I never saw any spots on him as a young juvie, nor have I ever heard of juvie fryeri having spots. On the flip side, I thought all azureus juvies DO have spots.

My vote is for hybrid cross .......... (unless someone can prove me wrong)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dunl bought his 'breeding group' of fryeri hybrids at an unamed store in Calgary.

I've also seen them in 'mixed tanks' here in Red Deer.

In Jenn's case, she does have a BIG tank, and sometimes things will work out fine if you have the right mix of fish.

that transcrptus X alto looks awesome!!!!!

Hey that fish is cool! But man oh man that is wrong lol. Some of those fish are just pure uglyness so ok and some pretty cool. I guess I am very lucky, for the last 5years in all my tanks I have not had an electric blue cross with my peacocks, sorry to hear about those of you who have. Ummm guess you learn something new everyday.

Jenn

wow, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. They look very much like the 2nd link RD had (post # 3) where there was the whole group of fry. They all have that faint yellow tinge along the top fin too. Those stupid spots keep fading away and then reappearing...they are driving me crazy....but they are there. They also look most of all like that pic Jenn posted of fry (post # 8). Compared to RD's 2" fish (approx post #6), mine are not as long shaped. The pic I have is a little deceiving that way, it has a longish look to it when really they are a bit stouter, plus the spots don't happen to show. Anyways, my solution is to go see Jenn's some time and then I will maybe know. My biggest concern at the moment is that they don't look remotely blue.

That's pretty much what I thought.

Juvie fryeri also don't have spots, and azureus retain their spots for a long time, sometimes for their full life cycle. (unless it's a fully colored up male)

It would be nice to find out who sold that lot # at the auction, so they don't return with more of the same to the next auction. :angry:

Here's a pic of my female C. azureus:

body

Head

Group

In the group shot you can sort of see that one girl has fainter spots than the other. These two can gain/lose their spots and stripes right before my eyes. I'm not sure why but sometimes they are plain silver, sometimes they have dark spots or dark stripes.

(I didn't crop the pictures b/c it resizes them and then they get blurry)