Electric blue crayfish babies yay

nicole

I couldn't be more excited! My female is finally holding eggs. The only thing I have any experience in breeding (this was by accident and unfortunate) is convicts. How many babies will survive? I've got her in a 75 gal tank all by her lonesome... Thanks for any advice you may have.. Brand new at this.. god its so exciting :D

I couldn't be more excited! My female is finally holding eggs. The only thing I have any experience in breeding (this was by accident and unfortunate) is convicts. How many babies will survive? I've got her in a 75 gal tank all by her lonesome... Thanks for any advice you may have.. Brand new at this.. god its so exciting :D

Hi Cole,

I am assuming that you had your female together with a male at some point so that the eggs are fertilized. I am a big fan of crayfish as you can see on my avatar...

I grew up fishing crayfish in Sweden where it's tradition to have crayfish feasts at the end of the summer. The largest one I catched must have been close to 8 inches (not including the claws).

I have had crayfish spawning before but never raised any fry to adult size. I had them in a smaller tank and the fry got eaten. If you have your female alone in a 75 gallong tank there should be no problem. The female will look after the fry during the first little while but after that she'll see them as food and you may want to remove her if you want to keep the fry. The fry will eat any decayed leftover they find on the bottom. Bigger fry will also kill and eat smaller fry if they get the chance so lots of hiding places is a must. You can boil some lettuce or spinach and let it decay on the bottom. Just keep an eye on the water quality and make water changes.

This is general crayfish information based on native species but it should apply to the electic blue as well.

get as much "hide" you can for the little ones. I use empty film cannister I got for free from walmart. The more hiding place the better. use plastic plants, egg crate broken into small pieces, broken pots...etc. It did not look nice but I grew and sold lots of the babies that way.

Js

• 3 weeks later...
get as much "hide" you can for the little ones. I use empty film cannister I got for free from walmart. The more hiding place the better. use plastic plants, egg crate broken into small pieces, broken pots...etc. It did not look nice but I grew and sold lots of the babies that way.

Js

I just noticed my electric blue female is holding now. I'm assuming they are fertilized as she is in a 15G with the male. I'll probably move her into a 40G breeder tank soon.

How is your cray doing? Did the eggs hatch yet? I read that crays can hold their eggs for extremely long periods of time.

I dont have my breeding colony of blue crays anymore. I got bored of them. I manage to raise hundreds of them and sold quite a few. However, many were just used as feeders. THat was the purpose of breeding the crays...feed my puffers.

It takes a while for the eggs to turn to little crays. If i remember correctly at least 3-4 weeks and dependant upon the tank's temp. If you can see the cray, you will see her taking care of the eggs and eating the unfertilized/fungus eggs.

Seach "CanadianCray" in the member list and he is the person to talk to for more specific stuff.

Js

Hey congrats on the soon to be babies..... The first batch is always very fun for people... They are very cute when small.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I usually recommend removing the young from the female 3-4 days after they hatch. I shake them off into their own tank full of hiding places as others have said. The main source for loosing baby crays comes from cannibalism amongst the babies.

Alright! We have children! I was told to take the mother out right away by a good fish friend of mine.. So i did.. and wa la... mega babies.. They were born on the 4th and they range from 1/2-1" in size, with beautiful blue colourings! Coolest thing I've ever seen. I started them off on blood worms too when they were really little so they've been growing quite rapidly. If anybody wants some let me know. It will still be another 2-3 weeks until I've grown them to the size I'd like them to be at before they go.. But I'm starting them off at $15 then.. So if there are any takers let me know. A bunch are already spoken for, for my favorite store Elite Aquatics... But they're are lots.. thanks guys

good luck with ur babies..

nicole

I think lucy held her eggs for about a month I'm not sure... but i just remember sitting there everyday going hatch hatch come on i know u want to.. lol