Murky water

Why is my tank so murky/ milky??? :well: My ph is 8.2, my amonnia is only 0.25, the nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 15.

It is a cichlid tank ,80 gal, with 19 various fish and 2 BN. The temp is 80.4 I did add some salts and buffer as recommended by a breeder.

All my levels say it is good water but it looks yucky :angry:

I did a water change 4 days ago.

Anyone that has some ideas let me know!!!

Thanks all :thumbs:

Derek

it's my understanding that when it does this it simply has extra micro lifeforms a blooming. I usually do a 50% wc then add floss to my filter. After a couple days it's gone There are products out there that bind and allow your filter to get it out faster , you could always try that. Sue

What kind of buffers did you add? The combination of salts and buffers may have caused this. If the buffer is high in phosphates it will cloud the water.

I doubt it was the buffers that made it cloudy. It could be a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom. Adding filter floss to your AC will clear it up.

Sometimes a mild algae bloom is hard to distinguish in the aquarium. Take some water out and put it into a white bowl or bucket. If there's a greenish tint to it, it's an algae bloom; otherwise it's probably a bacterial bloom.

I have not added any wood or rock or nothing to the tank. It is not greenish in a white bowl. It is more of a milky now. I am going to to a 50 % water change and see if that helps. And if you mean the rocks as substrate, it is small white and blue rocks. I will take a pic and post it.