Holding??

FishBrain

Holding? Is that when the fish holds the babies or eggs in her mouth until they are ready or do i misunderstand. My flameback female hasn't eaten in a while and her mouth is very big compared to how I remember it looking. Not sure as I am pretty new to the Cichlid circuit. Dont know why it took me so long to get into it.

Well ok I do. No Hockey!!

anyway, do I remove her and put her somwhere else or do I just let her do her thing and hope for the best. If I hope for the best, then should i remove the fry when they are seen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If she is holding, unless there is a great deal of cover for the fry, they will be eaten by the other cichlids when spit (even if they are vegetarians),

If she is holding, she should look like she swallowed a marble. The throat area will be quite swollen.

Does she look like the third picture down in this link?:

http://www.africancichlids.net/Victoria/Ha...ack/gallery.htm

if so, she is holding.

IF your female looks like there is something in its throat and is hiding and not eating then its probably holding. The pic in the link dunl posted shows it quite well.

If you want to keep the fry then i would suggest moving the female to a 10g about 2 weeks into her holding. She should hold for around 3-4 weeks. Then she will spit the fry out. At this point, after feeding the female a couple times, I would move her back to the main tank as she could decide to eat the new fry. Now you will have a tank full of new babies. Feed them frozen BBS, cyclops, and crushed flakes a cople times a day and do frequent water changes.

Now if you dont' want to raise the babies its ok to let the female spit in the main tank. Most of the fry will get eaten by the tankmates. I do this sometimes when i dont' feel like keeping the babies or i dont' have any tank space to make a fry tank. Usually a couple fry survive.

YES, she is definetly holding then!! She looks just like that one, that sack sort of beats in her throat.

I wouldn't mind having 2 or 3 more but i dont have the room for them. The best I have is 2, 2.5Gal tanks, one hex and one short , the 10 that I have is leaking. This is the first time that she was like this and I got her in Nov, so maybe I'll wait till next batch.

I think he means strip. Striping is manually removing the fry from the female, before she spits them naturally. Yes, i have found that strip is sometimes necessary but most times the females are quite able to go the 3-4 weeks without the food(some females still eat while holding too). If your female gets very emaciated(sunken stomach, looking sick) you may need to to this too but if your female was healthy and well fed before breeding it shouldn't be a problem.

This is the first time that she was like this and I got her in Nov, so maybe I'll wait till next batch

Dont' worry, there will be many chances to raise the fry. Once africans start breeding its hard to get them to stop :D

Because of my setups, I personally strip all my preg females. I find it easy to make sure the female won't spit them out, and plus, by doing this, I don't need to have a holding tank to place her in waiting for her to spit them out.

Might even be able to get a few more this way, because none will get lost or eaten by other fish. Stresses out the female at the same time, so its up to you.

Ty