Yellow Labs

spcy

I have a pair of F2 yellow labs, The first 8 or 10 broods of fry were a nice bright yellow. One brood of fry had some barring on them. This last brood of fry are all white with no markings what so ever. Is this normal or should I be thinking tidy bowl tornado.

Did you change anything in the fry growout tank? I find when I grow my fry out in a barebottom tank they are a very pale yellow/white color. I've even grown them out to 1" and they haven't shown any color(not even black in the dorsal) but then if I put them in a tnak with brown gravel they start to develope their yellow and black.

I wouldn't judge them untill you have grown them out and seen what their color developes into. I've had a bunch of white/pale fry grow into nice adults.

And if they are still not right I have a magic aquarium that they can go into. Fish go in and disappear LOL

All my fry tanks have grey or brown gravel in them, They also have lots of rocks and plants (live plants not fake).

I've also noticed a surprising amount of variation in my F1 fry too. Like Val said, some end up with no colour until they're rather large, and even then seem somewhat washed out compared to others, and yet others are eye popping yellow from day one and get their black rather early (I've got some at about 1" that don't quite have the colour my 1/2" ones have). As long as you're using the same food and sure that there's no chance of hybrids, I wouldn't worry about it too much b/c they should get colour later on.

A year ago I bought 10 F1 juvie Yellows from Kyle. 4 of which were fairly white on the belly. But now, solid yellow, and very beautiful. And I also noticed different sets of fry from this group will range from pale yellow/white to full yellow and showing very good black. Even at 3/4". Anyway, not to worry. Thanks again Kyle for some beautiful fish.

Leon

These guys are allready 1"+, However they are showing some color now. The gal just spit out another batch today and they are white also but have the black on the dorsal and traces of blue on the fins. Thanks for all the info. I'll let them go a little longer and see what they turn out like.