Heat wave induced tank crash

BooUrns!

Just came home at 11:30pm to find mostly dead fish in my 60G tetra tank. I'm thinking the combination of a hot day, a crowded planted tank with the light off (I'm assuming the plants began drawing oxygen instead of producing it) and a powerhead that wasn't causing enough surface agitation led to a fatal crash.

I lost:

5 Congo tetras

5 Serpae tetras

6 Lemon tetras

10 Emperor tetras

5 Penguin tetras

15 Blue tetras

17 Neon tetras

10 Rummynose tetras

3 Blushing Blue Angels

3 Glass catfish

3 Bristlenose plecos

3 Serpaes survived (although one is dodgy) and two Silvertip tetras (which is ironic because I've been hoping they would die for months).

I miss winter...

Hey Henry, When are you gonna start up your toonie tuesdays again? I need to restock on Tetras.

Holy crap thats horrible I would be devastated I love congo tetras and angels. I have 2 bleeding heart tetras I can give you for a few plant trimmings if you'd like.

Sorry about your loss.

yeah my tanks temps are up too... but i am leaving the lighting on less... cause i think it adds degrees... I turned the air pumps up though

maybe drop some prime laced ice cubes in there,,,,

Edited by duff

That sucks dude. So sorry. I suffered through a tank "crash" a few months ago. I lost 12 or so fish in the span of 5 days right after I introduced a couple bosemani rainbows from a large pet chain(last time I buy fish from there).

Ahhh... the hard lesson of the benefits of a quarantine tank... we have (almost) all been there.

As for summer temps, generally most fish will survive the higher temps with increased aeration. Not helpful to your loss, but this is a good time to remind everyone to add an air stone/power head/HOB/etc to get a little more O2 in the water. As well, do not try to change the water temp 'drastically'. A sudden change of more than a few degrees F will cause much more stress and damage to most fish than the higher temp albeit constantly. I had a rough first summer with my fish, and I completely sympathize... how is the African tank holding up, Patrick?