Fish mates

83BULLDOG

Over the year sI have had alot of kirbensis and in the last year or so I have had an interest in some rams now my question is could you put a krib and a ram in the same tank it is a 90 gallon with lots of caves and such places to hide.I really like both species and if they cann"t go together I guess I need to make a decision,or get another tank.any info greatly appreciated.

In a 90g it should work as it will give them both enough room to have territories. Make sure there is enough caves and everyone should be happy. Using plants and decorations to break up the line of sight will also help if they do pair up and start showing agression when protecting their territories.

Are you planning on putting pairs or just singles of each species?

An easy way to make sure they establish territories further apart from each other is to have just 2 caves (or 4 if they're pairs), and place them at opposite ends of the tank (ie. kribs at one end, rams at the other).

I have had both in a comunity tank with out any problems.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Wait are you guys saying I can't put krib and rams together in a 20gallon?

I wouldn't. Both will get too aggressive when breeding and someone will end up dead. I would say 33 gal min for keeping a breeding pair of each in the same tank. Would go with a 45 preferably. I had one pair of kribs in a 29 and they killed everything else in the tank.

I had 8 kribs and 4 rams in a tank together. The kribs only got agressive when I put a flowerpot in their tank.

rams and kribs I've always thought to be calm dwarfs. Never seen the two together but don't see any problem if you did. Goodluck on your hunt for some (I have some kirbensis and I think some german blue rams in calgary, at sunridge petland)

My girl has 4 kribs and 2 boulivian rams in her 20+ tank, none of them are breeding yet.I could see a problem once kribs pair and start to breed, but we are watching them closely. She wanted guppys too,males dont last,so we put in whiteclouds for top portion.So far no problems.

I have kribs in my 72 community tank and they are fine with the rest of the fish, even neons. The big a-holes are the paradise fish.