Mutant Snails

Paradisius

Many a moon ago, purchased some live plants from a local LFS. They came with some rather unwanted guests. SNAILS. Now in moderation, I realize they are and can be healthy for the freshwater tank. I emphasize moderation, because out of the blue they literally took over the tank. So, I transplanted the plants into a seperate sterilized tank. Removed the fish into another set-up... and you're not going to believe the rest of the story. It's been about a month now since I stated the cleansing... with BLEACH!! yes lotsa bleach with a 100%water change every day for the last month. We are now doing a 100% clean water change daily for another month to cleans any risiduals of the nasty bleach. This included all the infected, for lack of words, driftwood as well. So the plants in the fresh set-up are clean and free of any snails now. Fish are fine in the transplant... thankfully. But even with a 25% bleach solution in a 90 gallon tank daily for the duration of step-one to rid the tank of them. THEY STILL LIVE, and happily at that. If there is anybody out there who has had success in ridding these pests, please let me know. We are just short of burning the driftwood (150 buck size pieces :( )huge and throwing out the damn tank! BTW I read about the heat related fish deaths, sad... but running a fan over the water without lids will help reduce the heat in such times. As well, a moderate water change will not only reduce the heat in the water, will also reduce some heat in the home. Trust me, it hit 31.8 in here with no casualties. Would love to hear some sound advice, this is really annoying. BTW, so you don't think I'm carzy for using bleach, once a year all the tanks here are treated this way. I have lost nothing... it takes awhile to "rinse" the system, but it is worth it. These tanks are incredibly clean for it.

Cheers!

One sol'n would be to put a snail-muncher in the tank. With an Amazon biotope (guessing from your sig), you could get away with a South American puffer. I think Pea puffers are SA - I have a couple in a 90. I hardly see them, but they never stop hunting for snails.

I would recommend something small that won't affect the bioload much. A loach or two wouldn't be a bad idea, but they're Asian...

Hey, thanks for the head's up with that info. I've tried several fish, and instead of putting a band-aid on the boo-boo, I wish for an all out cure. This is war with the darn things. I just can't believe they have survived a month in a 25% bleach solution and clean water changes since. I've decided to either give the driftwood away, now sitting on the balcony, or use it as firewood. Too bad too, Malaysian Drift wood is so nice especially the size of this piece which takes 1/3 of my 90, or 1/2 of the 70 custom cube...

Cheers

LOL, tried the loach method. These fish get kinda big for my comfort zone. The driftwood is drying out. This I tried once before. Left it on the deck for months, but as soon as it hit the water, they came back with a great fervor. Unfortunately the piece is too large to "bake" which I have done with the smaller pieces with great results. Anyhoo... decided the driftwood will be decor in the house when the time is right... or I might sell it to the right offer... which with a little time I can take a pic, and gather the apporx dimensions. BTW, decided to convert the 90 into a saltwater set-up. Since the salt has been added... there has been no sign of return from these pesky mutants.

Thanks for the assists!

Edited by Paradisius

• 2 months later...

Use a piece of zuchini and place it on a plate(it might need to be elastic banded on or use a rock to hold it down). Then place it in the tank at night. Keep an eye on it and when the snails come out to eat it and start covering the zuchini remove it and place a fresh one in. Keep doing this untill the population is reduced.

Sqishing them and reducing your feedings will also help keep their populations down. You'll only have as many snails as your tank can support, if you reduce their food their populations will go down. Also make sure there is no plant bits collecting in the tank if its a planted tank. Decaying plants is a great food for snails.

if you decide to use loaches of puffers, that is prob your best bet. I have had both and they do an amazing job.

To remove them out of drift wood, you can try boiling it(to big?) cook it in the oven, or even put it outside for a couple days, the cold at night and frost should be able to help.

Puffers I found to be the fastest way of ridding them. Maybe stop feeding and let them do what they would in the wild, scavange. Puffers seem to be the most fun to watch and you will know when they are doing their job as you might even hear the little guys crushing the shells