Cichlid Stocking Suggestions

Blue Ram

When I first got into tropical fish 3 years ago I wanted a cichlid tank. I very quickly got sidetracked into other species (see my signature) and never did set up a cichlid tank. I would now like to convert my 50 gal into a cichlid tank.

I would like as many suggestions/ideas as you members can come up with for stocking suggestions.

My criteria: is 50 gal too small - that is the first consideration because I am not willing to go any larger due to my other tank commitments. I do not want any breeding to occur so I would like males only, minimal aggression (I keep a very close eye on aggression and compatibility in my tanks). I obviously want beautiful colored fish of high quality that are appropriate in size for a 50 gal. (no dwarf cichlids please). I would like to aquascape with dark sand and rock. I am planning on doing some research but I thought you cichlid lovers would be a great resource!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to add your suggestions.

I don't personally keep cichlids but when I was at Aquarium Enthusiasts I saw a powder blue cichlid and it was really nice looking and they had these other cichlids I don't know the name of that looked like they gave of they're own colors.

... I do not want any breeding to occur so I would like males only, minimal aggression (I keep a very close eye on aggression and compatibility in my tanks). I obviously want beautiful colored fish of high quality that are appropriate in size for a 50 gal. (no dwarf cichlids please). I would like to aquascape with dark sand and rock. I am planning on doing some research but I thought you cichlid lovers would be a great resource!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to add your suggestions.

Sounds like African cichlids from Lake Malawi would be perfect. In a 50 Gallon you could fit a decent number of male Mbunas. They don't mind being crowded and it will reduce the aggression :) I am not going to attempt suggesting any specific species since there are lots of people on this forum that are better suited than me.

If you can over filter and provide shelves/caves/rock formations. IMO 8 full sized males could co-habitate nicely. I would max out at 12 if 8inches or less so that you can observe them all. It is very difficult to watch any one fish when 20 more zip past you lol

Male Mbuna tanks are so much fun to watch it's crazy, cichlid-forum.com is a good resource but i've found some of their information to be well, I guess some people love over-crowding the fish, when others like myself think it's mean to put so many fish into one tank they run into each other, but hey that's just me! Good luck on this tank, keep up posted, and once the transition is made, I would love to see some pictures!! Ps..Make sure you over filter the crap out of the tank, they like to be messy :D

Ryan

but if your looking for a peaceful/colorful tank go with an all male peacock setup. the only thing would be to give them lots of space at the top of the tank. so keep the rock work low and it's also fun to watch them sand sift. throw in a couple synodontis and a pleco and you'll be set.

Given your experience in fishkeeping (extensive) I would go with a one-colony tropheus tank. Contrary to internet reports on bloat, they are very hardy if cared for properly and a very interesting cichlid. In a 50 gallon you should only have one species and begin with at least 10-12 in order to defer aggression. Another great cichlid that I enjoyed was demansoni-you would need to build a shale face. They are a very interesting fish and breed well.

ya the tropheus would be cool. there a little more expensive but would be well worth it in the end. They're only tuff to keep during the first inch and a half then they settle quite nicley

I am either going to go with an all male peacock setup or a 1 colony tropheus. Any suggestions on where to purchase these species. There are some nice tropheus on Aqua.bid but no shipping to Canada. Another issue I want to address is if I go with a tropheus tank, do these fish breed like rabbits?? I don't want to start a fish farm! The information I've read to date suggestions that the spawns are very small.