yellow lab fry

happeboy

I didn't notice that I had a mommy and I had to move my fish. When I bagged the mom she spat out her fry and never took them back in. The fry are about 5-7mm is this old enough to be alone as I put the fry in a separate tank so they would not get sucked up by the filter or eaten? I suppose it really doesn't matter cause they cant go back with their mom.

Do yo uknow how long she was holding them? Do they still have egg sacs? Or are the swimming around?

They should be ok in their own tank. Just cover the filter intake with a sponge and keep the water clean. IF their egg sac is gone then you have to feed them a couple times a day. Crushed up flake food, frozen BBS or cyclops are some easy fry foods.

3-4 weeks is good. they should be fine. Feed them a couple times a day but make sure that you dont' polute the water. I've found that using a pipette and shooting the food directly into where the fry are hiding really helps cut down on waste. Also turning off the filter while you feed will mean less will get sucked up and it will be easier for th efry to catch it.

Like Val said, they are certainly old enough. And as for mom being too young... us humans are not the only ones with teenage pregnancies! As long as the little ones have motive power and no more egg sac, they are just fine and dandy.

I use a pepper mill and grind up NLS Grow pellets for the really tiny guys in my grow out tanks. Grind it twice on the finest setting you can get the stones to go, and it will become the consistency of talc... perfect for their tiny little mouths and easier than live foods (more complete, too!) I mix this with a bit of tank water to make a soup, and then pipette it to them in a big cloud. They go nucking futs for it.

If they can avoid being eaten for the next few weeks, then they'll be set!

Micro worms or vinegar eels would be a lot cheaper and easier then Brine shrimp! I have been using live foods for the last couple of months and have noticed a better growth rate with the live food as oposed to crushed NLS or other dry fry food! Fish seem to really get excited with the movement of the food and dont ignore it as they some times do with the dry food...

I've yet to see a yellow lab fry ignore food, dry, frozen, live or otherwise. Growth is dependent on a number of factors, one of course being the 'amount' of food being offered on a daily basis.

Having said that, growth alone is certainly not the only factor one should consider when considering the overall health of a fish.

In some cases excessive growth at an early stage of the fishes life will eventually equate to an early demise.

(Jonah, are you reading this?) :)