Background

Slough Shark

I used flat black latex paint from Home Depot applied with a roller. It will take 3-4 coats (allow to dry in between) to get a nice solid and even background. It's great because when you get bored of the colour you can scrape it off very easily with a razor blade. One thing I did have happen to me is that where my AC mini touches the back of the tank, it pulled away a bit of the paint when I took the filter off for maintenance. I touched it up but you could still see it when looking at the tank. The next tank I did this with I solved this problem by applying tape over the area that the filter touches to protect the paint.

Okeedoke, does it work on acrylic tanks too?

Latex paint should work on acrylic as well but then it may become more permanent as it will be difficult, if not impossible, to remove the paint later on.

I am using a plasic background this time but I will make sure there are no waterdrops in between and I am also thinking of using a thin masonite board (not sure if that's what it's called) behind to keep it flush against the glass.

I make sure all is clean before aplying back ground and then put it on with 2 sided carpet tape the full width of the tank. I have no problems with water behind it or wrinkles/bulges in it.

I noticed that the have thin acrylic sheets at Rona, both clear and white, those would probably work really good. They could be painted and then taped on full width along the back. I think the sheets were 2'x4'. The clear sheets can also be used as tank lids I guess. They would bulge but a thin aluminum frame could be glued on around the edges.

Interesting, I am not crafty enough to make a background or tank cover out of acrylic sheets, but it sounds cool. I will probably end up painting the back of the tank anyways, but just out of curiosity, what is this double sided tape Nick? Is it adhesive on both sides? Comes off easily?

Do you think that instead of painting the backside of the acrylic tank I could silicone some think to the inside? I mean like a 3D background, DIY?

Be prepared to shell out a LOT of money for those Aquaterra backgrounds. A cheaper alternative is the styrofoam backgrounds made by Hagen and sold under the Marina brandname: http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquati...=01117910010101. They also have Exo-terra ones that are the same thing but sold for terrariums. I use the Exo-terra one in my 10G because I like the colour better. They come in a 24" x 16" sheet and can be cut to fit your tank (or use multiple sheets for a larger tank). Just silicone to the inside of the tank and you're all set.

Here's what the Exo-terra one looks like in a 10G:

DSCN3318.jpg

It looks kinda fake at first but once a bit of algae grows on it then it looks very realistic.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah

I have looked at those Aquaterra backgrounds before, they look cool, but they also do look expensive, like you said.

That exo-terra looks like a perfect match for the resin ornament I already have planned for the tank, do you think BA's carries that stuff? The styro won't melt from the use of a heater right? This is for my 6 Gallon Newt Paludarium, which is an acrylic tank, I like this option better than DIY background.

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

You can paint on acrylic. Just be sure to use acrylic paint found in any craft store or department store. Once wet, you can peel it off in a single sheet without scratching your acrylic.

I used this for my betta tank and it worked like a charm. Easiest is to apply with a foam brush.

Good luck.

I have looked at those Aquaterra backgrounds before, they look cool, but they also do look expensive, like you said.

That exo-terra looks like a perfect match for the resin ornament I already have planned for the tank, do you think BA's carries that stuff? The styro won't melt from the use of a heater right? This is for my 6 Gallon Newt Paludarium, which is an acrylic tank, I like this option better than DIY background.

Thanks for the ideas guys,

Taylor

I don't know about BA's but PJ's Pets is a Hagen dealer: http://www.pjspet.com/alberta.html. The styro shouldn't melt as long as the heater isn't touching it. Just remember that this is about 1.5" thick so any HOB equipment that you have (filters, heaters, etc.) will no longer fit. You could cut or melt some away to accomodate equipment but I've just settled for having everything on the side. Of course, I don't use any HOB stuff...