what should I put with Honduran red point

jessie83

whats your tank size?

I've never kept HRPs but I would think that some of the bigger bodied tetras would work, platies, cories, loaches. Most of the community type fish that are big enough not to be eaten.

Depending on your tank size clown might be ok if you have a big tank. Some smaller loaches that would work well are yoyos, or zebra loaches.

In my 90 gal I have a pair of 1/2 grown HRPs w. 9 cardinal tetras, 6 juvie sevrums (will be just a pair when they're older), 4 Hoplosternum cats and a few 2"+ Amano shrimp.

If they pair off their behavior is very similar to convicts. So they would not go with anything too slow or conspecific unless you have enough to spread the aggresion.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

if hrp are so similar to cons, how about some firemouth in the 55? target fish optional.

I have now bred 3 generations of the HRPs. They are much less agressive than convicts, except when they breed. Great community fish, except when they breed.

I have broken up my pairs as when they breed they make life hell on any other fish that likes the bottom strata of the tank. They would keep my cories swimming high in the tank for a week at a time.

They will be great community fish, but if you get a pair I recommend you either give them their own tank, or break them up.

Kevin

I've had 2 regional types of HRP. Ones from Rapps were quite placid. I had a couple males from Rio Monga from Ken Davis (bought some at ACA in 2006) and they were mean SOBs. As in dominating V. bifas and a few festae, well until the larger fish double their size :P

Good observation,

Mine were from Rapps.

The HRPs that have been floating around Alberta for the last year are from a Rapps order. There were also some others brough in by Riverfront last year that came from some place else, they were not quite as blue. I guess it depends on where they came from.

What do you mean buy Target fish?

Target fish are small fast like zebra danios that give cichlids an imagined threat to their young, and makes them more protective of their fry

What do you mean buy Target fish?

Target fish are small fast like zebra danios that give cichlids an imagined threat to their young, and makes them more protective of their fry

So do I have to have them if I want them to breed!

Or do I just leave them alone !

I do plan on getting 2 clown loach's and some convicts!

So what do you think?