found some mystery babies in my tank

Vallisneria

I was just feeding my shrimp tank and noticed some(2) tiny baby fish swimming around. I have no idea how these got in there and no idea what they are. I haven't added anything new since the beginning of sept and then it was only some shrimp which I netted out of the beg and check before adding.

My guess would be endler babies but as I keep endlers in the tank(20g) thats next to the 10g shrimp tank. I would have thought a endler female would have accidentally jumped into the shrimp tank but I can't find an adult fish in the shrimp tank and all endlers are counted for in the 20g. The fry are tiny, they look like newborn livebearer fry. I can't imgaine 2 endler fry were able to jump from the 20g into the 10g. Also, I can't find any fry in the 20g so if they were bron and jumped you think there would be other babies.

So I have no idea where these fish came from or how they got here. So weird :wacko:

Ok upon closer inspection there is 3 babies in the shrimp tank. I was also able to spot 1 fry in the 20g(with the rest of the endlers). So the fry must have come from there. But what are the chances 3 tiny fry jump out and land a foot away in the 10g??? Maybe 1 but 3! Weird

Maybe she has good aim and jumped into the shrimp tank, had a few babies, then got scared of the shrimp and managed to make itback into the 20G

Moms do strange things

lol

Do you use the same net for both tanks, could you have possibly netted three babies accidentially then added them to the shrimp tank... I can't imagine Endlers being able to jump that distance...

Certainly a strange thing though :unsure:

I haven't used the net in the endler tank in a while, so that wouldn't have been it. I never clean them at the same time either so its not like babies could have stuck to something and been transfered.

No idea how 3 made it over, and it must have been recently as they are tiny.

I find the weirdest things in this tank. Last month a Amano shrimp escaped from the 20g and made it into the shrimp tank and now these babies. I guess they must things the grass is green in the cherry shrimp tank.

I haven't used the net in the endler tank in a while, so that wouldn't have been it. I never clean them at the same time either so its not like babies could have stuck to something and been transfered.

No idea how 3 made it over, and it must have been recently as they are tiny.

I find the weirdest things in this tank. Last month a Amano shrimp escaped from the 20g and made it into the shrimp tank and now these babies. I guess they must things the grass is green in the cherry shrimp tank.

-roll- -roll-

Yeah I kind of doubt the jump theory. If they could penetrate the surface I doubt they would have the velocity to even make the edge of the tank before falling back down. An explanation escapes me, you're sure it is totally impossible that you somehow transferred them? Logically if all the adults are accounted for, and you had no other fish in the dhrimp tank, you are the only means for them to get into that tank.

Honestly I have kind of neglected these 2 tanks lately. I havent' put anything in the tank, no nets,no hands, no nothing. I haven't even cleaned these tanks in a few weeks so it couldnt' even be the gravel vac(I know I'm a bad fish mommy but these 2 tanks are heavily planted so they do ok without weekly WC if I get busy).All I have been doing is dropping in a couple NLS waffers each week into the shrimp tank and daily pellets for the 20g. These babies are new, as in just born, so anything that might have transfered them would have had to been used recently and I seriously haven't touched these tanks in weeks.

Its also just me and my parents, so its not like there is anyone else in the house that might have touched my tanks.

My mystery continues :boxed:

Did you move any plants?

nope, no plants

The only thing I've done to these tanks is feed them and once in a while top the tanks off with a bit of water when they needed it. But the top offs wouldnt' have transfered them either as the water jug never touched the tanks water, I just pour the new stuff in.

Hmmmmm .... immaculate fishception??? Is there a bright light somewhere in the vast amounts of water? :hey:

Or what about a new level of Fishevolution ... could they have evolved over a period of time from tiny little cells to those cutsie little fish? :rofl:

Hope I've got all areas of creation vs. evolution covered for you. Just wanted to help out with a few more ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I think I figured out what the mystery babies are!!!

So about a month ago I added the endler fry that I found in the 20g to the 10g shrimp tank, which had the 3 mystery fry. WEll today, after sitting down and watching the babies for a while, I dont' think the mystery fry are endlers. They look nothing like the endler fry. I think they are Celebes rainbowfish!!! After trying to think about how they got in there as my pair of celebese were under the shrimp tank and I moved them to another room beofre i found the babies. But then I remembered! I know I said I was absolutely sure I hadn't added anything to the tank but thinking about moving my celebese made me remember. When I moved them, I took a tiny piece of java moss that I found floating in the rainbow tank and added it back to my 10g shrimp tank. The java moss must have contained eggs.

This is crazy as I never expected to see rainbowfish babies!

They are still pretty small but now I can't wait to grow them out and see if they do indeed turn into celebes rainbows.