Experimenting with off-camera flash

patrick

I picked up a cheap flash for $60 to see what difference it would make. Unfortunately I don't have an extension cord so I have to hold the flash with one hand and the camera with the other lol. It definately makes a big difference allowing for higher f values and faster shutter, better contrast, sharpness and color.

1" Julidochromis marlieri fry - flash straight on from above

J0005-800.jpg

Neolamprologus pectoralis - flash from the left above

pectoralis0002-800.jpg

Close up betta - flash from above

bettaclose1-800.jpg

Paralabidochromis chromogynos - flash straight on from half way up

chromo0007-800.jpg

Paralabidochromis chromogynos - flash from above

chromo0008-800.jpg

Callochromis macrops - flash straight on from above

macrops0004-800.jpg

Callochromis macrops - flash straight on from above

macrops0005-800.jpg

Either your first macrops shot has a mouthful of sand, or they're breeding for you already! I'd guess breeding from the looks of things, so congrats!

I wish they were breeding already, but it's actually sand. You can see some of it falling down underneath the fish. But is does look like she is holding :)

they sure are nice pictures. I was wondering where you got your flash? thats not a bad price I have been looking for one that I didnt need to sell a body part to get/

It's a Sunpak 280A. You can get one at London Drugs for $59. You will also need a hot shoe for the camera and the flash itself, plus an extension cord. They have that at MacBains Camera, the main store. Just be aware that this is a very simple flash and requires lots of tweaking and manual adjustments for good results. I got the extension cord today and it sure made a difference to put the flash on top of the tank.

Here are some samples, smaller ones this time so it does not take so long to load.

gallery_1979_105_44116.jpg

macrops0006-600.jpg

X0010-600.jpg

pectoralis0004-600.jpg

hunter0013-600.jpg