How long to let her hold before stripping?

canuckle

Hey degrassi,

Frankly, we'd prefer not to. But, she's not eaten since Jan 1, and the last time we moved her she spit a bunch early and ate a few. She's been perfect so far this time around (we were MUCH more careful, and didn't stress her trying to catch her...live and learn!). More interested in getting as many fry as possible I guess.

Mostly I'm concerned about her health. Thanks for the quick reply!

and the last time we moved her she spit a bunch early and ate a few.

Okay, I do strip my females, but that's beside the point. I think the point here is that the last time you tried to move her, she spit and ate some of the fry, right?

Well, here's is the way I would do it: Turn off all the lights in the room the tank is in, including the tank light. OPEN THE COVER. Wait until the fish are asleep. Do this three or four hours AFTER the lights are off, NOT BEFORE they are awake. I found out that if I tried to do it before they woke up, they would usually be either already awake, or not as groggy.

Okay, fish have been sleeping four hours now (winter is a good time for this). Go into the room quickly and quietly with a net, and close the door behind you. Feel your way around in the dark, and get your hand on the light switch for the tank. Then....

Turn on the light and snatch the groggy holding female before she has a clue what is going on. If you move the net slowly but firmly, you should net her if she is in the open. Use a net with very small holes and you should be able to catch any fry she spits. If she is like my females, having her in the net will cause her to spit them all without having to strip her.

Unless she is like one witch of a fryeri male that I had, who liked to sleep in a crack between two rocks, making it impossible to catch her even while groggy.

I"ve had female rusties that held for 31 days before. They did ok. The were a bit thin when they finally spat but they weren't sick or starving.

I wouldnt' strip unless she is in obvious stress or very thin. A healthy female should be able to hold for 21days no probelm. atleast i've never had a problem with females holding that long, and even longer.

Well, just to update...she spit this morning, and has been taking some of them back in. She will spit them back out to eat though :)

So far so good, looks like about 40-50 fry. If any of the males turn out as good as their daddy, I may have to do a species tank! B)

Thanks for the quick replys all!

Congrats on the fry :beer:

she spit this morning, and has been taking some of them back in. She will spit them back out to eat though

When she stops taking them back into her mouth its time to remove her as soon she will stop thinking of them as her babies and start eating them. I always give her a good meal and stick her back in the main tank.

• 2 weeks later...