Hi

Kevycorp

Hi,

I was recruted by Degrassi from Cichlid Forum last week.

I decided just about a year ago that I was going to get a tank. I was thinking maybe a 20 gallon with assorted tropical fish in it. I've been researching ever since then and have become obsessed with Cichlids.

I've decided to get a 90 gallon tank and fill it with Mbuna. :o

I'm hoping that we will start construction of the stand in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure now that we're about to get underway I'll have a million questions :huh:

Thanks for the site, I love it! :D

Have a great day!

June

Hi Kevycorp, I'm new here myself, but Welcome aboard. :D

We also have a 90 gal with mostly Mbunas and love it. One little suggestion when you go to decorate it, silicone your rocks together in bunches for easier cleaning. We got about 100 lbs of various stone from Burnco (much cheaper than the lfs) and piled it into caves for our Cichlids, it works great, but we didn't silicone any of them together and now when we have to do a major cleaning it is a real pain to try and re-stack the rocks into caves solidly, I'm always afraid one will slip out and punch through the side of the tank.

Another tip for rocks caves is use PVC pipe to suppoirt them. I used 4" and 3" black ABS pipe as a base to put my rocks on. This way it saved a lot of weight and made nice caves that i wouldnt' have to worry about falling apart. I also siliconed some of my rocks together for make sure they never would fall.

I used the 4" pipe as i have bigger rocks and some of my fish are supposed to get a bit bigger. I could have gone with the 3" pipe but oh well. I use connector joints and straight part to make a sort of l- shape. With the middle being bloced off.So it really makes a small stright cave and a L cave. They use it all the time. And its very easy to jsut take the rocks off the PVC and clean.

I also made a few smaller caves with just 2"(or is it 1 1/2") balck ABS pipe cut into 4-5" lenghts. I then siliconed some gravel tot eh outside and i jsut place them along the back side for my Synos and smaller fish.MAkes a places were teh big fish can't reach them.

• 1 month later...

Hi Smokey,

I've bought the stand, tank and filters. I've sent an email to 3M to try and find a distributer of their black quartz cristals (no luck yet) and I'm about to order the heater and python. My Sister and I may try to make a styroform and concrete background with caves, I love them, but I understand that they can raise your PH and mine is already high. In other words it's coming along very slowly.

Thanks for your interest :D

Have a great sunny afternoon!

June

Hi Smokey,

Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with a lava rock background that I found at Cichlid-Forum.com. I have to run to Calgary this weekend and get the lava rock so we can get started. It's killing me having an empty tank sitting here.

Have a great weekend! :D

June