Nematodes and treatments..(blood red worm out the wazoo) found a webpage

Diane

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment

I have had some angelfish with a callamanus infestation for some time. I believe it started over a year ago with some convicts I purchased and has spread through many of my tanks.

I have had some trouble with my bottom feeders dying and some mysterious fish deaths and some fish not growing and dying off. I have found by research that internal parasites are strongly linked to mystery deaths. In searching I have found it hard to get a cure for nematode worm callamanus. I discovered a webpage on loaches forum, and I would like to share it for any other people with the same issue.

I believe Black Mumba had the same problem with her fish a time back.

I ordered some levasole HCL from VetMED .( <a href="http://www.vetmeddirect.com/Levamisole-Sol...gm--pr--0160131" target="_blank">http://www.vetmeddirect.com/Levamisole-Sol...gm--pr--0160131</a> ) and hopefully it all works out.

Edited by Diane

Instruction I got from mykiss...worked in 2 days!

Callamanus Infestation Treatment

Like many others out there, I have had several experiences with the dreaded Camallanus Worms. If caught early enough (or if luck is with me), I’ve always been able to treat it without losing the fish. I have still lost quite a few fish to Camallanus, however they were all cases where either treatment wasn’t available until it was too late, or it wasn’t noticed until the fish was gasping on its side. I don’t know for certain how Camallanus gets into our tanks, however I suspect in my cases it was through either infected new fish that never showed the signs, or possibly even through live foods such as scuds/gammarus shrimps they have been known to carry parasites and nematodes as a host. Once a fish is infected, the worms eggs get spread through the tank iin the fish's feces.

This is one of many different nematodes that can infect our beloved aquarium fish, however it is one of the only ones that ever make itself visible. The telltale sign that you have a bad Camallanus Worm infection is the little red worms sticking out of the fish’s anus/vent. They may stick out only 1mm, or they may stick out a full 1cm. The bad thing is if they are protruding from the vent that means there is a relatively heavy infestation of these little devils. The good news is you may be able to eradicate them without losing your fish....

My first and worst infestation was in an angelfish (picture below of angel early on, worms circled). By the time I noticed the red Camallanus worms sticking out of the vent/anus, there were about a half dozen. I read and searched the net to learn what they were and found all reports of eradicating the little buggers involved using a sheep/cattle dewormer called Levamisole Hydrochloride (Thanks to Charles Harrison and some members of the AKA for coming across this and establishing a recommended dose). It was about 3 months before I was able to get my hands on any as it's not (wasn't) available locally unless you wanted an oblet that size of an egg that was about 95% unwanted filler and not water soluble.

I kept the angel well fed and it survived until the Levamisole HCl arrived. By the time I found and ordered some of the medicine, there were over a dozen little red devils sticking out the vent. I don’t know how the angel survived so long. I think it’s size and being very well fed helped it tough it out that long. I mixed up the medicine (simple instructions) and treated the whole tank. Within 5 minutes of adding the Levamisole I could see it affecting the worms. The best I could describe the appearance of the effected worms is that they went rigor-mortise and began to stick out even farther and in larger numbers. I kept the Angelfish very well fed (frozen bloodworms) while it was being treated so it would expel the dead/unconscious worms from its intestinal track. This is very important as otherwise the corpses stay in the fish and can cause fatality. Within a day there were only a couple worms left. Within a couple days of that they were gone. I did a massive water change and vacuumed the gravel well, and life went on for all the fish in the tank. The angel appeared to be the only one infected, but it’s best to treat the whole community in case others are infected but not showing.

I’ve had a few battles with Camallanus since then and have stocked up (with the help of mykiss & Charles Harrison) on Levamisole Hydrochloride as well. As said before, any time where I’ve caught and treated it early, there have been no problems. If I’ve missed the infections until the fish were looking visibly ill, it’s usually been too late.

For those who need it, I currently have Levamisole Hydrochloride on hand in small 5g sachets which will treat a bit under 100 gallons. Contact me and we can arrange something

The instructions I received for use aquatic use are to mix a 5g sachet of the Levamisole HCl powder in 3oz (88.722mL) of water and mix well (I use a pill bottle that completely seals and shake for a minute). With the resulting solution, dose in the aquarium at 1mL per gallon, KEEP YOUR FISH WELL FED WHILE BEING MEDICATED, and leave for 24 hours before doing a massive water change and store the remaining solution in the fridge. It should keep for at least 90 days that way in liquid form.

I can’t say that I have ever completely followed the instructions. Since I’m not a chemist, I can’t measure water to that accuracy with the measures I have, but I can get very close with everyday household measures. Instead I just use plastic 1/3 cup dry measuring cup as it is 83.3mL. If you want to be closer to recommended dose, use a teaspoon measure for that final 5mL. I have usually left the med in the tank for 48-72 hours (often longer) before doing the massive water change with no ill effects. It is supposed to be extremely difficult to overdose or harm fish with Levamisole. WATCH YOUR FISH! They will tell you if they’re not enjoying the treatment.

I have only had one case where a fish looked very skittish with the treatment. It was with my nicest male triple red cacatuoides and had a single worm protruding at this point. I suspect now that he had been infected for about 6 weeks or so as he strangely had no interest in breeding for that time. I dosed the tank with a higher dose that what I would usually do. He hid all day, so I did a huge water change that night and he was fine and the treatment was still successful. He was breeding within the week. Most other times I’ve left it in for a few days.

Js

I have ordered Levamisole HCl from Charles Harrison and used it successfully on my tanks. His website is here. The cost is reasonable and there was no issue at the border, as he simply marks the package as "Aquarium Supplies". The drug arrived promptly.

Something I learned that Charles wasn't able to tell me in advance: Levamisole will kill invertebrates, though hardier individuals might pull through. I lost all my nerites and nearly all of my shrimp, but surprisingly not all MTS or pond snails.

From observing my fish, I could actually see the drug at work as soon as it was added to the water. It's good stuff, and a lifesaver.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot say how thankful I am for finding this website and forum! I recently saw the nasty bloodred threads protruding from one of my fancy guppy's vent (he is also the one that was misteriously not growing very fast, if at all). He's currently quaratined but I am fairly certain all the other fish in my tank are in need of treatment just-in-case.

I bought some anti-parasite medicated food (pellet form), and crushed slightly for my guppy displaying symptoms but the few pieces he ate he quickly expelled. It said to feed exclusively for 3 days, and now, after those days he is super thin and weak so I've started him back on his flake food (which he's eaten)

I emailed Charles about purchasing some of the medicine you've recommended. I hope he responds soon, and if so, I'll probably buy 3 packages so that I'll be set should this happen again!

A few questions for you both:

1) Did it affect any of the plants in the aquarium?

2) Any affect on nitrite, ammonia, nitrate levels or pH?

3) Does the medicine also kill any eggs that might be hidden in the gravel?

4) How do I clean the tank of any eggs that could reinfect my fish without killing all of my good bacteria?

Thanks in advance!

1) Did it affect any of the plants in the aquarium?

Not in mine. Both of my tanks are moderately planted.

2) Any affect on nitrite, ammonia, nitrate levels or pH?

The drug itself shouldn't. However, I still had deaths post-treatment because of the internal injuries. Decaying bodies spiked the ammonia levels until they were removed.

3) Does the medicine also kill any eggs that might be hidden in the gravel?

According to the article Charles wrote on the treatment, after levamisole has been in the water 24 hours, a near 100% water change with very thorough gravel vac is required to remove offspring which may be in the gravel. The article also claims only one treatment should be required (though a wise fishkeeper would probably do two treatments a few weeks apart anyway).

4) How do I clean the tank of any eggs that could reinfect my fish without killing all of my good bacteria?

You don't. As I said above, do two treatments and a thorough gravel vac. Most of the beneficial bacteria is in your filterbox and the drug won't affect the colony.

Copods are believed to be part of the pathogenesis (<--my new word :smokey: ) of nematodes in fish according to Dr. Chris Andrews in his book The Manual of Fish Health. As far as whether or not they are destroyed in the freezing process of bloodworms I cannot say much other then that could explain why Hikari sterilizes their frozen bloodworms. I however do not use Hikari BW, but a cheaper unsterilized brand and I've never experience Camallanus in my private fish collection. I do add freshly minced garlic to my fish's diet.

Copods are believed to be part of the pathogenesis (<--my new word :smokey: ) of nematodes in fish according to Dr. Chris Andrews in his book The Manual of Fish Health. As far as whether or not they are destroyed in the freezing process of bloodworms I cannot say much other then that could explain why Hikari sterilizes their frozen bloodworms. I however do not use Hikari BW, but a cheaper unsterilized brand and I've never experience Camallanus in my private fish collection. I do add freshly minced garlic to my fish's diet.

What all do you have in your private collection? Can you post some pics? If it's a collection there must be some unusual fish in it.

Certain pathogens can indeed survive almost anything that we can throw at them, including freezing, freeze drying, and depending on the process used, and the strength of Gray used, even irradiation.

I've never personally experienced a case of callamanus in any of my tanks, and hope I never do.

• 4 years later...