40,000 gallons

Willfishguy

I have these two cement tanks in my fish room that are 40,000 gallons each. One of them I'm using for a breeding program. But the other one I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I'm thinking plant tank; swords, crypts and hygro. I think a community tank would be awesome with schools of many different tetras or barbs.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/Will...guy/Will032.jpg

Thing about these tanks is that they can only be viewed from above, so viewing fish like cichlids would be very limited, but I'm thinking that 500 cardinals would look pretty sweet swimming from one end to the other.

What would you do? I'd really love to hear all you ideas.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told yesterday that black arrowana's are no longer allowed to be shipped out of brazil (don't know if it's true) would be a perfect breeding pool for a group of them

I have these two cement tanks in my fish room that are 40,000 gallons each. One of them I'm using for a breeding program. But the other one I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. I'm thinking plant tank; swords, crypts and hygro. I think a community tank would be awesome with schools of many different tetras or barbs.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/Will...guy/Will032.jpg

Thing about these tanks is that they can only be viewed from above, so viewing fish like cichlids would be very limited, but I'm thinking that 500 cardinals would look pretty sweet swimming from one end to the other.

i must say youre crazy lol. what kind of fish are you breeding in the other tank?

i'd say arowana then youd be rich lol. or large cichlids.

Quinn

I'd go with Koi in one tank (cheap, no heating required), and Asian arowana in the other.

You could get 12 juvenile HBRTG aros shipped to you for under $4000. Raise them up for 4 years and then breed them. That would be a hoot!

Hmm...if you want "wow factor", forget the above and go with a few arapaima instead! Just think of the fun you could have in a few years time feeding them whole chickens or small pigs (just joking! :tongue: )

Arapaima would be really cool! Doesn't get much more unique than the worlds longest fish!

I think a 'community' tank would be lost in something that size; a bunch of tetras and barbs would essentially look like a bunch of uncoloured minnows. If they looked as bright from above as they do from the side, then predators would have an easy time picking them off.

Plants might also not be the easiest, depending on what depth you filled the tank up with, as you would need an enormous amount of lighting to actually get anything to grow on the bottom in as deep of a tank as it looks in the photos.

If cutting a hole in the side and installing viewing glass isnt' an option, I'd definitely be looking into koi, arowana's, and arapaima. With some rays on the bottom, of course (tigers would be very cool in a tank that size!).

I was told yesterday that black arrowana's are no longer allowed to be shipped out of brazil (don't know if it's true) would be a perfect breeding pool for a group of them

Where did you get this information?

Dennis the owner of gold aquarium mentioned it to me

<a href="http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/Will...guy/Will032.jpg" target="_blank">http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/Will...guy/Will032.jpg</a>

i must say youre crazy lol. what kind of fish are you breeding in the other tank?

i'd say arowana then youd be rich lol. or large cichlids.

Quinn

Hey Quinn

I'm going to try my hand at breeding Motoro Sting Rays. As far as the S. formosus goes, I've thought about it for a few years now. The problem with them is the existing availible gene pool is already becoming weak and since obtaining legal wild specimens would be nothing short of near impossible... that eliminated them from the big picture.