In the beginning...

African_Fever

Did you ask for a spec sheet on the paint you used ?--Often when not mixing properly(I'm assuming it's a two component and you're referring to the sweat time ) you can delay the cure also some paints take up to 30 days for a full cure-- Palguard epoxy from Pratt and Lambert is also a good paint to use in fish tanks and it can be applied by brush---I don't think you need to cut out the silicone the paint should still cure under it if it's a 2 component

I did an 8 foot plywood tank for a friend years ago with forest green arborite and he never had a problem with it.

Jorg - I'll have to look for the Pratt and Lambert paint the next time. If this works, I'd like to do about an 8'x4'x24" tank, and I definitely don't have enough left of the stuff I have for that!

Nick - How did you attach the arborite to the wood? Did you make the box of wood, and then glue the arborite to the inside, siliconing the corners? I like the idea of the arborite as it would be easier to scrub clean than the epoxied surface, and it gives you quite the options as far as colours goes.

I drained the tank after filling it the last time, and gave it a good wipe-down on the entire inside. I had painted the entire tank over two weeks before, but the last coat that I did 3-4 days before filling it I never painted everything - just the inside. Nothing rubbed off the stuff that I had painted earlier, it was just the most recent paint that appeared to rub off. With the tank emptied, I again wiped out the inside until no more of the paint (or whatever) came off - didn't take much more. It's been sitting inside now for over a week empty, so I decided to see what would happen if I filled it (after a quick water wipe down and nothing came off) - filled it last night, no leaks all night!!! Went over first thing this morning already, and nothing coming off the tank - it looks the same as it did last night. So I repainted the outside (just another coat of black acrylic paint - this has a two hour dry time) for peace of mind as much an anything (want a paint that water will not soak into right away), and drained the tank. As soon as I get a hand moving the tank today I'll bring it home and fill it up for another trial run, possibly putting in some 'throw away' fish to test out the water quality. If I've got no issues with that, then it's go time!

Edited by African_Fever

Wow cool build I wanna see more pics kinda thinking of doing and inwall saltwater you only look through one side right?.....you coulda fibreglassed the inside rather than painting here is superfudge's 1000G fibreglass and wood tank

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthrea...ight=superfudge

And he was tank of the month on Reefcentral check out the pics of his massive skimmer

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/totm/index.php

I know I could've fiberglassed the inside, but it's way more work than I think is necessary on a tank the size of mine - I'm just under 200 gallons, and the extra stregth of the fiberglass isn't needed for a tank this size. He still applied an epoxy over the fiberglass in his build too as the final 'waterproofing' layer. If (when) I build something around the 500 gallon size, I'll probably consider the extra strength of the fiberglass or external bracing. With this tank, I wanted something that was easy to do, and wouldn't take too much time (plus I know nothing about fiberglassing, and don't think any close friends/family who'd be helping do either). I definitely didn't want to get discouraged by picking something far too complicated on my first try!

Nick - How did you attach the arborite to the wood? Did you make the box of wood, and then glue the arborite to the inside, siliconing the corners? I like the idea of the arborite as it would be easier to scrub clean than the epoxied surface, and it gives you quite the options as far as colours goes.

Contact cement and silicone on marine plywood. You do have to scuff the joints on the arborite with sandpaper to get a good bond with the silicone though.

Well, the tank was finally moved home and filled up this afternoon. FX5 was filled with filter media from existing filters, and some fish were thrown in to see if there's anything leaching from the water that would affect fish.

No lights installed over the tank yet, just a 30" single tube flourescent strip for now - won't have much more than this for the rays anyways.

post-45-1202527922_thumb.jpgpost-45-1202527934_thumb.jpg

I'll do both a cost breakdown and time estimate tomorrow (as long as the fish are still alive!).