Fluval FX5...

sharuq1

Fluval FX5 good or crap?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have a Fluval FX5 running on our 120g community tank. Problem is it is constantly stopping or losing it's flow. We have checked the hoses and fittings and found nothing wrong, so I don't know what else to do. I can hear it running, just practically no water is coming out. The thing is so big I would not even know what I was looking for. We have checked the hoses and fittings and they seem to be fine. It is getting to the point I don't know what to do with it anymore. We got it in the pkg deal with our tank from another member, so there is no reciept and I have no way of knowing it's age.

:well: If anyone has a clue on how to fix it, if I should take it to a store to fix it (if so where) or if I should contact someone please fill me in, as our tank is suffering from lack of filtration from this baby constantly acting up.

I have heard good things about this filter which is why I have not totally given up on it and bought something else. *frusteration* :bang1: :angry:

Thanks all

Edited by sharuq1

I have 2 FX5 filters. Set my first one up on sunday and have to say I'm not impressed by many things I much prefer the Rena XP4's which I have 6 of but I guess I have to wait a few weeks to see how the FX5 works in the tank

These are great filters. It is difficult to troubleshoot a problem without actually seeing the unit. Having said that the FX5's stop for a period of 2 minutes every 12 hours to expell any air that may accumulate at the top of the filter. Is this what is happening with yours?

You have to fill the filter almost half full initially. Make sure the output nozzle is ABOVE the water level during start up. The filter will run for 2 minutes and then shut off for 2 minutes.

If you continue to have problems go to Family Pet (contact: Frank or Yip Wah) or PJ's Londonderry (contact: Charity or Allan). I deal with these people all the time and they will take care of you.

I'm w. fshkpr4evr - it's a great filter. I think it's great that it expells the air like it does - it never gets the gurglies and burps that my other canister filters get.

agreed.

the filter is designed mainly for biological bacteria its not a carbon based filter like most.

when i used to work at the petstore many noobs would come in and say i put lots of carbon in and why isnt it working properly.

my answer is only use biomax and one thing of opti carb!!!!

theyre the best filters in the game people.

(eheim and fluval insert filter materials are chemically identical too)

The best ever . Have 3 of them, and they work great.The only time I ever have a problem is when I don't open the vavles in the right order after cleaning. Have you cleaned the propellor. They will get gummed up after time like any other filter. On all my filters when I cleaned them , I pull out the propellor and use Q-tips to clean the grap out. Makes A big differance.The only other thing that it could be is the way it is set up. Distance from top of filter to top of tank. Or not filled right for start up. Try and get a manual and follow the steps for filling and start up. Maybe it is just old.

sharug1, i also had a similar experience with my fx5.

this happened a few weeks after setting it up

it seemed like it was constantly priming with minimal flow for several days.

there are just bioballs loaded in the middle chamber of the fx5.

i gave it a once over much like your description and..........it runs great, months on end.

so unfortunately i can't offer any advice.

other than, i suspect it had to do with my initial bolt up??? or filled wrong???

Edited by skinless