Mexico Trip

Slough Shark

The pics are not all edited yet, but I will get them on Photobucket and posted ASAP. For some reason my camera really crapped out on me and I've had to go back and adjust the brightness and contrast on almost all of the shots.

While you are waiting for me to post the photos, maybe you'd like to hear about the trip...

Before I start with how it was I'd better say where we were at. We landed in the Mexican State of Quintana Roo on the Yucatan Peninsula, and we stayed at the Gran Porto Real in Playa Del carmen.

Day one was just like any other trip away from home; unpacking, settling in, etc. That evening we scoped out the resturants that were included in the all-inclusive deal, chose one of them (I think it was the buffet that night) and then returned to our rooms where I digested my food in the hammock. Every night the resort had great dancing shows, which get repeated on a weekly basis, so I quit watching after the first week.

Now everything gets hazy, my sister kept a journal of the trip, but I didn't so now I'll have to tell you everything jumbled together. I know that there was a string of about 3 days when I just sat on the beach and watched the surf and people walking by with a pina colada in my hand. We did the big family thing for Christmas.

Many of the days involved going out for a snorkel in the waters just off the beach of the resort protected by a break. I was very surprised at the amount of fish that are under your feet when you wade in the ocean. I saw three species of schooling fishes, some sort of goby-like fish, a flounder, crabs and lobsters, possibly a moray eel, and a bunch of mostly solitary fish, some of which were sought after the whole trip.

We went to Xcaret (which is a sort of nature/culture park) it was very touristy, but excellent for an introduction to the rainforest, its inhabitants, and the mayan culture. They had good prices on art and crafts at the reproduced mayan village and put on an excellent ceremonial dance show (I took video and will post it). Just for an idea, we saw: regional bird sanctuary, a variety to endemic mammals, plenty of stray iguanas, mayan village, rainforest trail hike, and a fish/turtle farm. We did some snorkeling in their touristy cenotes which were very silty and noisy with all the other people, but we also took a dive with the snorkel gear at the reef. While we were under the open water, I saw a HUGE ray come at us out of the gloom, plenty of corals and reef fish (I think I saw a triggerfish), that was interesting, though I prefer the snorkeling at our resort).

The big highlight of the trip has to be the Maya Zip-line Excursion. We booked a half-day trip with AllTourNative and headed out to a mayan (farm?) piece of land called Chikin-ha. There we experienced three GREAT zip-lines, two took us over cenotes, and the last one took us across the jungle canopy. We lounged in a cenote in inner tubes and experienced an authentic Mayan cleansing ceremony. But the big deal for me was snorkeling in the cenote. This one was sort of the next step up from the cenote at Xcaret (the last step being a remote rainforest cenote, real deal stuff). There I saw 4 species of fish (Jack Dempsey, Mollies, Guppies, and Catfish) which was very exciting! At the end of it all we had lunch (monkey head soup, spiced chicken, beans and rice) and headed home. It was well worth the $90!

During the whole of the trip I bought some great souvenirs (wood carvings, tile paintings) and had some awesome experiences, though it's not my idea of traveling, it was still good because I didn't have to pay for it!!!

And that's about it, the pics will be ready soon and then you will see what I mean! I hope you enjoy the photos guys,

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

Well I finally got the last few pics edited and they're all loaded onto Photobucket. As I said before, I am a little dissapointed with alot of these pictures and I can't blame it all on my camera. There are a fair few pics with very vague names such as "Coral" or "Blue Flower" and even "Butterfly", if anyone can I.D. those and tell me what they are, I'd be much obliged.

So without further babbling, here are all 101 pictures shipped to you from the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico (and the guest password is "fishhunt"):

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/S...hShark/Travels/

I have to say I am particularly proud of the bird photos, as they (much like their northern relatives), don't stay still for very long! I am happy with how the flower shots turned out as well.

Let me know what you guys think!

Taylor

Firstly, let me say I think I am Jealous ! LOL WOW! Beautiful, scenic area. I love the ruins, shots. Well I love them all! I am only half way through... as I am viewing them as I type...

You really have a nack for photography, it must have been a super trip, I wish one day to now go see this place...

THanks for sharing! :thumbs:

Edited by BlackMumba

• 2 weeks later...

Haha thanks guys.

I suspect the monkey head soup didn't actaully have any real monkey head in it. If it was, it was just part of the broth because all I saw in it were native potatoe and squash-like veggies! Sure is a sweet name though :thumbs:

Edited by Slough Shark