Curse you, oh stubborn fungus!

fishprincess

As you probably know :), I have recently moved my betta, Prince, to a five-gallon tank with a heater. He got fungus (He had it before I moved him). It's mostly cleared up since I started treatment with BettaFix, but there is still a bit left :mad: . The BettaFix just does not seem to be strong enough. What could I try using instead?

Thanks!

fishprincess

Possibly Melefix. Betafix is the lower dose version. So Melefix is a little stronger but still natural. Hope your betta makes it.

Thank you for your good wishes for Prince.

I like guppies, too. I used to have a couple. Also, I noticed in your signature that two snails suddenly popped up in one of your tanks. Do you have any live plants in there? If so, this is likely what happened:

There were snails in the tank the live plants came from. Snail eggs were attached to a plant/s. They hatched into the snails you currently have in your tank.

Thanks!

fishprincess

Melafix and pimafix double combination works best.

as its their gimmick, you have to use both to have a better success rate.

emailed the company and asked why pimafix wasnt working,

they emailed me back and said you must use both and increases your success rate by 50%.

Quinn

My mother and I have just purchased MelaFix and Pimafix. What would be the proper dose for 4 gallons of water? (We didn't completely fill up the tank so that it wouldn't come as such a shock)

Can I use the regular Aqua-Plus water conditioner I'm using for my (larger) community tank for my betta's five-gallon or should I use Betta Plus, which is designed especially for bettas?

Thanks, everybody!

fishprincess

My mother and I have just purchased MelaFix and Pimafix. What would be the proper dose for 4 gallons of water? (We didn't completely fill up the tank so that it wouldn't come as such a shock)

Can I use the regular Aqua-Plus water conditioner I'm using for my (larger) community tank for my betta's five-gallon or should I use Betta Plus, which is designed especially for bettas?

Thanks, everybody!

fishprincess

Helloooo...anybody here? I would really appreciate some advice on how to safely measure MelaFix and PimaFix for my betta! Oh yeah, and do I need to dilute the AquaPlus conditioner for my betta or should I use the directions on the bottle?

Thanks!

fishprincess

P.S. Bad news - I can't use BettaPlus because I'm out of it.

I use an eyedropper that you can find in any drugstore. Something like 2 for a $2 or less for the small ones (measure 1ml) or 1 for the same price range but it measures 5ml's at a time. Look where the baby stuff is or ask. Find out how large your betta bowl, tank is, melefix and pimafix instructions are usually for a ten gallon tank if I remember correctly. 5ml for 10 gallons for each. So for a 4 gallon tank it is a little less then 2.5 ml, shake the med's and suck up a little less then 2.5 ml's of each and it should be okay. If you need more exact numbers you will have to wait for someone else. Hope your betta recovers.

I used a child's medication dropper to measure it for my betta tank. If you ask a pharmacist they might even have some droppers they'll give for free, or ask some friends who have babies/kids... tylenol etc comes with droppers that I wash and reuse, and I scoop some out to be set aside for ammonia when cycling or for dosing stuff like that. Marked carefully so they don't get used for the wrong things, of course!

Thanks for all your help, guys, but I really don't think Prince is going to make it. He has a strange sore on one of his gills, he is constantly gulping air, and he has stopped swimming (Before that he was swimming in a strange way). I'll let you know if he dies.

fishprincess

He has a strange sore on one of his gills, he is constantly gulping air, and he has stopped swimming (Before that he was swimming in a strange way). I'll let you know if he dies.

fishprincess

Have you tried dosing his tank with a bit of aquarium salt? When my betta had his fins eaten off, I put him in his own tank with salt added and he has healed fine with no fungal or bacterial infections.

Good luck!

Michelle

He has a strange sore on one of his gills, he is constantly gulping air, and he has stopped swimming (Before that he was swimming in a strange way). I'll let you know if he dies.

fishprincess

Have you tried dosing his tank with a bit of aquarium salt? When my betta had his fins eaten off, I put him in his own tank with salt added and he has healed fine with no fungal or bacterial infections.

Good luck!

Michelle

Hi,

Prince seems to be getting better. I just gave him some food, and *CHOMP!* it disappeared in 2 seconds! Thanks for your encouragement, without it I probably would have "put him out of his misery!"

The salt idea sounds like it might work. I'll try it and let you know if he gets any better.

Thanks!

fishprincess

EDIT: It turns out that while I was typing, Prince decided it would be funny if he pretended he was full. So he only ate 1/2 of the pellets I gave him! LOL bettas, they have such the cutest little personalities!

Edited by fishprincess