Bristlenose Breeding

African_Fever

I remember reading one local breeder's account of breeding bristlenose. He would add some snow in with his water changes. The cooler temperatures ~18-20 C and the softer water conditions would oftentimes induce spawning. Thought this was rather interesting.

• 8 months later...

I used snow, a 10 gallon tank and a 1-1 ratio yet I wished I'd have used more females, I have a new community ready for this year and will attempt to have two or three batches of eggs for my one male to care for. Lots of spinach, green beans spirulina and lumber to chew on is a nice conditioner. In a 10 gallon tank I like 2 gallons of snow and I leave the heater on so it slowly climbs back to 78F after the snow melts, These fish can simply go on their own at any time but I find getting them started in the fall helps. I have yet to see a Summer or early fall spawn but November seems to be My lucky month with most catfish. Once the females are near the top of the tank, remember to remove them if in a 10 gallon tank or they could meet a nasty death. Even I took a good whoopin from My big male once while trying to move fry, these are great parents but I find that breeding them before 2 years of age is useless.

Kyle,I find with the more common varieties that doing the rainy season routine with normal tap water is enough to get them going, as long as you stick to the schedule,but as said already this is the time to be breeding these guys especially for the first time. I am trying those L183's I picked up last spring but they are a little more tricky needing RO water,higher temps. etc. Just started them on daily changes today.

On a different note there has been some possible changes with my trip,I will pm you.

Birger