Holy Crap....I have Fry

Pufferpack

I picked up 4 little Dafodil Cichlids at the CAS auction in November and gave them a 10 gal tank to themselves, unfortunately it is tucked away in a corner of the basement and tends to get neglected a bit. I now have an algae outbreak that I was planning to clean up this week. Well I went over this morning to start removing and scrubbing some decorations and to my amazement I discovered about 2 dozen fry being guarded by a couple of the females. I guess the cleaning will have to wait.

Here are a couple pics I managed to get. :D

IM005344.sized.jpg

IM005343.sized.jpg

IM005342.sized.jpg

Will the algae be a problem, or will the fry feed on the micro-stuff in the algae?

Edited by Pufferpack

The algae won't be a problem, but I'd suggest removing the two fish that aren't part of the pair, before they get ripped to pieces. These fish become very aggessive once they form a bond, and spawn. In a tank that size it's only a matter of time before the parents make mince meat of the other two adults.

Glad to hear the algae might be helpful to the little pinheads.

These fish become very aggessive once they form a bond, and spawn.

Are you sure? I've heard that before, but have also read that the Dafodils form little familys, with the juveniles helping care for successive generations. From what I've seen today the 2 remaining females (# 3, the smallest of the bunch, hasn't been seen for a couple weeks) are watching over the fry while the larger male patrols the rest of the tank. One of the females is much smaller and may be a juvie yet, but I've seen no signs of aggression from any of them yet.

Yes, I'm sure.

Once a pair bonds, that's pretty much it for any other fish surviving in the tank, with the exception of their offspring. Once they mate, the successive generations will indeed form family type groups, where older juvies will care for younger fry, but any other adults outside of the 'pair' are usually considered a threat, and are torn to pieces. Right now your fish are still young by the sounds of things, as they mature, even in a 25-40 gallon tank, no other fish will survive.

Also, unless you have vented these fish, at that size there is no way to tell one sex apart from another. It's possible that if you only have one male, and 3 females, that the mated pair may allow the other females to remain for the time being, but eventually (especially in a 10 gallon) they will most likely be killed.

Ok, that makes sense. Now with all 3 guarding how will I tell which 2 have paired up (other than waiting for one to die), and would the 3rd be suitable to move into a community tank with guppies and cories, or should I be setting up a spare 5 gal to seperate them?

at that size there is no way to tell one sex apart from another

The largest (the one I figured was male) has long flowing trailers on the tail fin, while the 2 smaller ones tail fins don't (as you can see in the photos) so I assumed they were female.

If they all came from the same spawn, then the chances are good that the largest fish is a male. With this species the fin length is not much of an indication of sex.

The only sure fire method of sexing them is witnessing them spawn, or venting them, as this species is considered monomorphic.

I would try to observe this tank to see which 2 fish start building a spawning site for the next group of fry, which should be within the next couple of weeks. Once they start spawning they won't stop, with each successive spawn getting larger.

Then remove the other fish. They really don't make good 'community' tank fish, due to their aggressive nature, as well as the fact that they are carnivores.

More info here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2246

BTW - in an aquarium these fish can get up to 4+ inches, and are best suited to a 25-30 gallon tank. (a single mated pair) In smaller quarters the male can become overly aggressive towards the female, and sometimes even outright kill her.

Edited by RD.

:lol: ...Damn common names, sorry my bad for not being more specific with the proper name. We seem to be talking about 2 different Daffodils here. While you are referring to Neolamprologus pulcher (Kalambo), the group I have are Neolamprologus brichardi sp. Daffodil

From Cichlids.com

(Poll, 1974)

Also known as "Princess of Burundi".

Origin: Lake_Tanganyika (endemic)

Synonyms: Lamprologus brichardi, Neolamprologus elongatus, Lamprologus savoryi elongatus

Length: 10 cm

Tank: 60 cm, Tanganyika_Tanks, caves required

Water: 27 degree C, hard, pH 8.0 - 8.5

Food: Omnivore, eats small animals in nature (microorganisms), baby-artemia, brine-shrimp, flake-food

Body: very bright, beige color, black stripe on the gills, also a yellow dot

Morphs: "Kasegera", "Kiku", "Namansi", "Fulwe Rocks"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neolamprologus brichardi is a well-known cichlid from Lake Tanganyika, which is easy to breed and so a good beginner fish for Tanganyika-friends.

Neolamprologus brichardi is a typical cave-breeder, so it needs many stones and caves in his tank. They create very big groups in the Lake, where the non-parents (the indivuduals not breeding at the moment) defend the territory of this big group. This is probably because a death of them is not so important as a death of a breeding-parent. If there appeares any danger, the whole group will hide, and if often happens, that fries aren't in the cave of their parents but in a cave of another small family - but this doesn't matter for them.

This group-breeding behaviour you can see in your tanks too: After the parents have spawned, the fry are protected by them. When they spawn again, the juveniles are still welcome, they also take part in the care of the new fry. So the old juveniles are protected till they're about 3-4 cm. Then they will either join the group or swim away. If they have joined the group, they will create pairs later and spawn too. But in your tank you should remove the juveniles 3-4 weeks after the parents have spawned three times, because if the tank becomes overcrowded, the parents recognize this and won't lay so many eggs when they spawn the next time. This is a protection of nature. One pair of Neolamprologus brichardi can easily create so many juveniles, that after a time the whole tank is overcrowded by the species Neolamprologus brichardi. They start spawning at a size of 3-4 cm, then only a few eggs, but when they're bigger, they'll lay up to 200 eggs In nature the parents often only become 2-3 years old, because there is too little food, but in tanks they can become older.

Exact same species of fish, your data is just older, and many species have been reclassified.

The Neolamprologus "daffodil" can come from several different locations in Lake Tanganyika, but they all exhibit the same behavioural traits. (very territorial & aggressive)

Here's the same fish as yours, from yet another location.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2247

• 3 weeks later...