Reducing Tannins

Slough Shark

Water changes? :) I find my tanks are clear for about a day or two after I change the water, but I tend to do big changes. By the time it's water change time again the tank is brown. I can't think of anything else that would work, personally... I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with something.

I found that the bog wood that I blasted at the car wash did not color the water near the way unwashed wood did. I sprayed it so that all clean wood was showing.

I've got Malasian bogwood here. I just soaked it for about 24-48 hours before using it, and after a few months in the one tank I still get tannin buildup. I don't mind so much, really... tannins are supposed to be good. At least that's what I tell myself. ;)

My Malaysian Bogwood didn't leach many tannins, but this Mopani that I just got is quite ridiculous! At least I finally have some green algae showing, but I cannot stand the tannins- not in a photo tank.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will see if I can tag along to the car wash with my Dad next time he goes.

I will see if I can tag along to the car wash with my Dad next time he goes.

Just make sure it is set on rinse and that you run the hose for a bit first to flush any soap or wax out..

Buy a Rubbermaid container big enough to fit at least half of your biggest piece of wood in it. Put it in the bathtub and fill it with hot water...not boiling but hot makes a huge difference compared to cold or lukewarm water. Leave it for a few hours or over night. Turn it over so the other half is covered if you couldn't fit it all in and repeat. Do this a couple of times and you should be good to go.

tannins I have one tank that is horrible to get rid of, but what I have noticed is that my well water makes it way worse, I do alot of water changes, I did boil them first as well... but with frequent water changes its finally starting to clear up.

I don't use any wood with well water!! LOL YUCK. :thumbs:

I soaked my bigger pieces in a rubbermaid in the bathtub. I filled the bucket up with hot water from the tap each day or even a couple times a day. It isnt' as good as boiling but it got out most of the really dark stuff. I soaked it for about a week before I noticed the water wasn't turning as dark. If you want a crystal clear tank you might need to soak it for a long time.