Golden Saum Fry - False Green Terrors

Northranger

You've probably seen my pics I posted of the male and female Golden Saum in the S/A Cichlid area when I was trying to figure out exactly what they were.

Per the advice on this forum I had moved these two S/A cichlids inot their own tank some time ago. Not alot of action evident then two days ago the female started taking runs at fish she saw in an adjacent tank. The male was just staying off to himself.

Today I was doing my afternoon maintanence on my tanks...looked down and saw...

post-3020-1203893423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northranger

Thanks to Sam Chicklets, I think a short movie will run now.

th_HalsGoldenSaumFry1.jpg

It is very hard to tell, with lots more under that cave ledge on the left, but I think there are around 250-300+ fry.

Edit Feb 27:

They all came up into the top of the tank last night for a swim with Mom...more like 400 - 500 of the little buggers...seem to be growing faster now that my brine shrimp in-tank production set up is running strong the past 3 days.

March 29 - After some munching by Mom & Dad the remaining 50 or so are 10x bigger than the movie and growing super fast!

Edited by Northranger

Can not get the short movie to run too large it seems.

It is very hard to tell, with lots more under that cave ledge on the left, but I think there are around 250-300+ fry.

If you use photobucket it will work.

More knowledable here steered me to web sites with scientific bents that showed true green terrors vrs the Saum commonly sold as GT.

I am fairly new to this, and very new to GT's so I asked for help ID'ing the fish...and the title reflected the expert, group and what seemed like the scientific opinion. I too saw sites that listed the saums as GT's... I am not an expert, others here seem to be. :smokey:

I believe it is just a color morph of the GT

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

It's been almost a month and the little buggers are starting the growth spurt I've read about...seem to double in size every few days!

The male is quite funny, seemingly relegated to hiding in a front corner of the tank under the leaves of an African sword plant...barely ventures out toward the fry before Mom darts over nose to nose and then he swims back to the far corner of the tank and sulks for a minute lol.

Mom or Dad seem to have snacked on a few of the kids - still quite a soal of the fry but less than at the beginning. I've watched for hours, even in the dark using the moonlights and have not seen either parent snacking on the fry but who knows?

If you want to keep any of the babies, you might want to move them into a different tank. My pair will tolerate the babies and raise them great until the point that they decide to lay eggs again. Then they completely clean out the tank of any babies left. They seem to lay on the average every 3-4 weeks, so yours might be nearing that point.

If you want to keep any of the babies, you might want to move them into a different tank. My pair will tolerate the babies and raise them great until the point that they decide to lay eggs again. Then they completely clean out the tank of any babies left. They seem to lay on the average every 3-4 weeks, so yours might be nearing that point.

Interesting, everything I was able to find before said to leave them with Mom for at least 5 weeks or so otherwise she could get chased/worried to death...not being able to spawn before was the listed reason...I'll take a couple of dozen out just in case.

Not planning to use these as feeders...too nice looking, will offer here and then to LFS when ready in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have never kept these...

when I was removing some fry from the tank the female literally hurled herself at the net - striking and attacking the metal frame for all she was worth...I was glad it was not my finger in there lol.

April 27 - I saw the female was attacking the remaining fry and decided to move a couple of rocks to get them out...bad idea...disturbed the female too much I guess...this morning all eggs are gone...both Mom and Dad not too hungry today...wonder why....ooops.

Edited by Northranger