Buy and Sell

One small suggestion for what its worth.... When a person is selling an item I think that if someone is thinking about purchasing that Item or going to make an offer they should PM message the seller or buyer without mentioning it on the thread... the reason being if a person puts it on the thread that a PM has been sent to the seller or buyer it leads one to believe that the item has likely been purchased or spoken for causing the seller or buyer to bump or repost the item again if it doesn't pan out.

In the seller clause it states that the person has the right to pick whatever buyer of the item he wants to sell to, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I know personally I have PM'd and mentioned it on the thread items that I wound up not buying or never came to an agreement on....so I know that it can be confusing...

Once the seller has done the deal it should be posted immediately that the item is gone..

Ironically I wondered if there should be the opposite... a requirement that people post 'pmed' when they do. I like knowing that someone else has expressed interest so I should decide quickly if I'm interested. I know that I could lose out by waiting too long, but that's a risk I'm willing to take in some cases. :)

I never assume that someone will give to the first person who expresses interest. I figure even if I'm first, if that person's best friend writes them, they'll probably 'win', or if someone offers a trade of something they've been wanting, can get there faster than me etc.

I don't know if there should be a requirement either way, and I don't know how it could be monitored, but I just thought I'd point out the other side to it.

From my perspective, I actually like it if someone's posted that they've PMed me. 1 - if the PM doesn't come thru (it happens sometimes), I can get back to them; 2 - it's a free bump (you're only supposed to bump your post if it's fallen off the 1st page of the buy/sell forum).

Often the mods/admin will discuss this amungst ourselves before making a decission, but I'll publically say that I think the system is fine the way it is. No sense on changing rules back and forth all the time just to see if it works better or not.

From my perspective, I actually like it if someone's posted that they've PMed me. 1 - if the PM doesn't come thru (it happens sometimes), I can get back to them; 2 - it's a free bump (you're only supposed to bump your post if it's fallen off the 1st page of the buy/sell forum).

Often the mods/admin will discuss this amungst ourselves before making a decission, but I'll publically say that I think the system is fine the way it is. No sense on changing rules back and forth all the time just to see if it works better or not.

Yes there is always more then one way to look at things... perhaps its better to leave as is then to change for little or no gain.... Never thought of the free bump thing :thumbs:

Also even if there is a pm sent others can pm as well and be second in line etc. incase the first pm does not work out.

• 3 weeks later...
Although I've been on fish forums forever, could someone explain "Bump" - not sure what it means or why it is done?

OOO I can answer this one! LOL

Anytime a post is replied to it moves to the top of the list. So if you want to move your post to the top to get more views (especially for selling something) you reply to your own post and hey, presto - BUMP!

Did I make sense? :smokey:

Awww, finaddict beat me to it. :tongue:

There's a problem if people are bumping their post every day, or several times a day - it clutters up the forum, and can be considered unfair. However, if your post has fallen from the top page, people are likely to not see your post... out of site, out of mind.

The problem with saying a bump is okay if the topic is not on the first page is that the "first page" can be arbitrary. Unless everyone is using the forum default, the number of topics to show on a forum page can be changed under Board Settings in My Controls. So if one user is only displaying 10 topics per page but another is displaying 25, the "first page" looks different to both.

The default is 15 topics, so the average page would be the same.

There's a problem if people are bumping their post every day, or several times a day - it clutters up the forum, and can be considered unfair. However, if your post has fallen from the top page, people are likely to not see your post... out of site, out of mind.

I don't know about the clutter argument.

I think this site is over-moderated and the moderators are too keen to compartimentalize the site into different sections and move posts.

It's one thing to move clearly irrelevant posts, but it is another problem all together to be too rigid in the enforcement.

Clutter within a thread can be tolerated. The practical effect of someone bumping their post several times - or having to bump their post several times - will be that the terms of sale will be changed so as to facilitate a quicker sale.

just my thoughts.

I think this site is over-moderated and the moderators are too keen to compartimentalize the site into different sections and move posts.

We move posts to different sections because it helps when using the search feature. Also, not everyone checks each forum. So some topics might get over looked by someone who might be able to help if its in the wrong forum. say I post something about my african having a disease in the african section. Yes its about africans but we would move it to the emergency forum. It will get more attention by people who know about diseases, as not everyone checks the african forum.

I dont' think bumped posts clutter the forum but it is annoying to click the topic, thinking there is new info or an update, only to find "bump".

We move posts to different sections because it helps when using the search feature. Also, not everyone checks each forum. So some topics might get over looked by someone who might be able to help if its in the wrong forum. say I post something about my african having a disease in the african section. Yes its about africans but we would move it to the emergency forum. It will get more attention by people who know about diseases, as not everyone checks the african forum.

I dont' think bumped posts clutter the forum but it is annoying to click the topic, thinking there is new info or an update, only to find "bump".

yeah, no worries.

I've moderated before and know it's a difficult job. I've never been shy to express my opinions though.

just my 2 cents.