Health & transference precautions

Fish to Human Health precautions  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are some pretty scary/nasty things we can contract from our fishy friends and their environments.

Just wondering how many of us actually use shoulder-length gloves when immersing our hands in tanks?

Are s/w people more cautious than f/w? Do they need to be?

What standard precautions do you take, and do you use said precautions all the time, or just most of the time?

Looking forward to the responses!

Edited by hobbithall

Yup all the time in my salt tanks I got poisoned by some zoos a few years ago and ended up in the emergency room overnight, don't wanna go through that again

I use the regular powered surgical gloves just rinse underwater quick before putting my hands in the tank, whem moving around rock and such I use the big heavy duty elbow length Coralife gloves

Not me. I should though, had a really neat rash from a salt tank last winter. Is there anyway to make this into a poll. It would be interesting to know how many of us don't take the precautions we should.

Edited by bosshog

I've never used gloves. I've been stung a whole bunch out in the ocean, and a few times in the tank... I've got fairly thick skin, tho, so nothing serious. I don't keep anything too nasty tho (bristlewors and aptasia are the worst, so far)

I don't bother. I am clumsy enough without putting gloves on. Besides...it's kinda fun telling my fiance "the bristleworm got me" or "look at this awesome rash!" or "this is cool...look at the size of these hives!" lol ^_^

Thanks for the replies!

I just saw the Poll option. duh! :bang1:

Very interesting to see the feedback. I've always been hands-on myself, but I have to wonder if I'm setting a good example to my kids when I have my hands in the tank till they're all wrinkled. :blush:

(Incidentally, there are lots of places to get cheap shoulder-length gloves. Farm supply places sell 'em for bovine AI/preg-checking.)

I don't wear gloves. My belief is that if you can't drink the water or stick your hands in it, what the heck are you doing to your fish?

I use gloves 99% of the time, I have both the coralife and the ones from Lee Valley. As a clumsy person I almost have a cut somewhere on my hands and I prefer to just wear the gloves than put off tank maintainence while it heals.

Also, it never fails that just as soon as I think I'm done with the tank, and after I wash my hands and put on lotion, I come back just in time to watch some plant float to the top of the aquarium, and I would have to go through the whole hand washing process again in order to replant it, now I just put the gloves back on :) . It helps keeps lotion, soap residue and whatever else might be on my hands out of the water, so its just as much for the fish as it is for me.