Tank Electricity Costs – Especially Heaters

punman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, don't know if i'm just lucky or what, lol, but with two 55 gallon tanks running, one with the lights on about 12 hours a day (planted tank) and the other with lights on 4 to 6 hours a day, two filters on each tank, and heaters running in the wintertime..... my power bill is only about 50 bucks or so a month. this is for a 2 bedroom apartment with all incandescent lightbulbs (except tanks, they have flourescent strips), i leave the laptop on all night, tend to leave lights on alot...... you get the idea. and only 50 bucks i pay for power. mind you, i don't have a large freezer or in suite laundry, and don't have a vehicle to plug in overnight, so that could be the difference in cost there. some of you guys with your $300+ electricity bills...... ouch! i feel your pain!

Edited by BettaFishMommy

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

We just got our first power bill since moving into Okotoks. Running a 55 gallon community, 2 33 gallon cichlid tanks and a 20 gallon shrimp tank. Have all the standard fluval 303 can filters on each of the 3 bigger tanks an a HoB on the shrimp tank plus the usual pumps and heaters. Bill was only $80. I was expecting it to be ginormous considering the lighting in the shrimp tank is bright enough to tan with.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If that helps I'm using a kill-a-watt (device similar to the one listed up here) and my 25 gallon tank cost me around 7$ per month. That's considering a total electricity cost of 15 cents per killowatts (once you include all the fees that's about what we pay).

My tank is at 82 degres and in average my house at 66 and lights are on maybe 12 hours a day.

• 1 month later...

For those wondering why the $300 per month electricity costs there are a myriad number of devices drawing power in a home. The kitchen stove, microwave when used ( average 1000 watt m. draws about 1400 watts when operating ), vacuum cleaners ( many use around 1200 watts ), general light

ing, computers, DVD players and so on. And no, when you unplug your vehicle the cord does not draw any power. There might be a light at the end of the cord to notify the user that it is live but the light operates for 3 or 4 cents a year. Same with any tv when it is turned off. The little led light draws virtually no power.

• 1 month later...

Now I have heard everything. Having spent my career in the electrical world and having been involved in the repair of thousands of electrical devices I have never seen anything draw any current when it was switched off. Simply plugging an item into an outlet will never see any current flowing . Such a situation would offer a fire hazard. Only appliances like fridges and freezers etc. which require constant supply of electricity to operate will draw current when their thermostats turn them on.

Edited by Redplants