Liquid Ferts

Lance

I mix my own as well. I just bought 3 years worth of dry ferts, NPK and trace, from all year garden centre (hydroponics) for 20 bucks. Just mix my own and but it in pump bottles.

I'm using all dry ferts, now. When I was using liquids, I only used it for trace. But, when I moved up to a 135 + 50 +.... it got too expensive. THat's why I went dry. I like Flourish or Tropica Master Grow for the trace nutrients

Good topic..

Im struggling with ferts as well

I added 6 aquatic solid fertilizer pucks into the substrate two months ago. On top of that I added Seachem's Comprehensive Supplement for the planted aqaurium. 0.07-0.01-0.37

I also added Flourishes Iron.

I had good plant growth but algea every where in about two weeks, I have reduced it all to 1/2 that recommended. The algae is now under control and the plant gowth is slower to. Also I reduced my light to 11 hours per day.

My humble oppinion, experiment and start low..

Possibly some stupid questions, but I am a total beginner when it comes to plants.... :)

- do you put the fertilizers directly in the tank WITH fish? This won't hurt the fish? (I have livebearers)

- what about floating plants? Hornwort? Duck Weed? will they require fertilizers? I hear they spread like a bad cold...I want to provide lots of cover for my fry but not struggle with over-planted tanks.

- what plants would you recommend for fry cover aside from Hornwort, Duck Weed, Java Moss?

Thanks!

Naja grass

do you put the fertilizers directly in the tank WITH fish? This won't hurt the fish?

Liquid ferts- not a problem. Recommended levels (eg. N and P) are often lower than what builds up in a non-planted tank. Sometimes fish will try to eat the dry stuff, so it helps to dissolve it first.

what about floating plants? Hornwort? Duck Weed? will they require fertilizers? I hear they spread like a bad cold...

It depends on your light levels, fish load and plant load. In a lower light tank, a decent fish population will supply most of the fertilization. When you start getting into tanks with more light and CO2 addition, you need to add ferts to keep up with the increased growth rate. Try to avoid the small duckweed- it's a plague. Giant duckweed is much easier to clear out.

Try to avoid the small duckweed- it's a plague. Giant duckweed is much easier to clear out.

LOL I keep hearing this but I keep it anyways, I think it's cute and it's fun to watch it grow. I only have 4 pieces. You plant-pros are shaking your heads right now... :P

I will come back in a few months and apologize to Werner for this comment, I bet, when my duck weed is taking over every tank I have, LOL