Are bricks aquarium-safe? what should I look for?

PintoHawk

Does anyone happen to know if I can use bricks in my aquarium?

To be more specific, PIECES of brick. Will I have to coat it with epoxy or something first, or will it be safe to just place in the tank? I was thinking I should boil the pieces first to try and get them their cleanest and possibly leach out all the color there might be. Good idea?

I saw mention of using bricks to build caves and decorations on another website, but I wanted to run it by the pros here first. ;)

Thanks, Degrassi. :)

If you're not wanting a huge increase in the hardness of your water, you should always try an acid test on whatever you're putting in your aquarium. If you can get some hydrochloric or muric acid, that's best (vinegar is a not-so-good substitute) - put a drop or two on what you want to put in your tank. If it bubbles/fizzes, it will slowly dissolve in your tank and raise the hardness.

As a reference, because of the cement decorations in the lake in WEM, the hardness is over 3000ppm!

I would not worry about the bricks increasing the hardness of the water unless you are using pure RO water or distilled water in your tank. Calcium becomes less soluble the higher the PH is. If you have "normal" water of about PH 7.5, then I doubt that you can even measure a difference. I would be a little concerned about other chemicals present in the bricks, but I doubt it. Maybe try in a smaller tank with a few fish first, just to be safe.

Jason, I beleive the hard water in WEM is because when the water evaporates, it is being topped up with regular city water. Since the minerals do not evaporate but stay in the water, the hardness keep going up. The same happens in a tank with no lid, unless you replace the evaporated water with distilled water or RO water.

Thanks guys. Some good suggestions. I wonder if I even have any vinegar in the house right now... heheh

WEM = West Edmonton Mall, I assume? ;)

(as in, where the dolphins are... *sighwithlove*)

Thanks guys. Some good suggestions. I wonder if I even have any vinegar in the house right now... heheh

WEM = West Edmonton Mall, I assume? ;)

(as in, where the dolphins are... *sighwithlove*)

The dolphin(now sealions I believe) lagoon is seperate. The water area around the lagoon, where the submarines used to go is what I believe Jason is refering to.

If you can get some hydrochloric or muric acid, that's best (vinegar is a not-so-good substitute) - put a drop or two on what you want to put in your tank. If it bubbles/fizzes, it will slowly dissolve in your tank and raise the hardness.

Got a nitrAte test kit? The first bottle should be hydrochloric acid.

Regular WCs are done at WEM (I know 'cause I do 'em ;) )

I agree.. just make sure you keep up witht he water changes

Jay.. I use to work behind the scenes at the deep sea caverns as well...... basically I was the "water Test guy"!! is jared still workin there?

Edited by hybrid

I don't work too closely w. the Aquariums ppl... their boss doesn't let them play w. the rest of us :) Don't know Jared

I am also planning on using some old reclaimed brick in my tank. I have read in several places that they are safe for an aquarium. They are essentially just clay that has been kiln cooked, so not much different then using clay pots in the aquarium (many people use those with no adverse affects).

Like adding any rocks to your tank, just clean 'em real good.

My favorite method for cleaning rocks ( and I'll do the same with the bricks when I get them) is to throw them in the dishwasher with no soap, on a high heat / steam dry setting.

Will get rid of anything on them.

If your concerned about using the dishwasher after for dishes, just run it again on the same cycle with soap, empty.

I am also planning on using some old reclaimed brick in my tank. I have read in several places that they are safe for an aquarium. They are essentially just clay that has been kiln cooked, so not much different then using clay pots in the aquarium (many people use those with no adverse affects).

Like adding any rocks to your tank, just clean 'em real good.

My favorite method for cleaning rocks ( and I'll do the same with the bricks when I get them) is to throw them in the dishwasher with no soap, on a high heat / steam dry setting.

Will get rid of anything on them.

If your concerned about using the dishwasher after for dishes, just run it again on the same cycle with soap, empty.

Thanks Boom, that's an awesome tip! I will do that with the enormous load of rocks I have [i was dreading taking all day to boil a few at a time]. LOL

I wonder if a person could do the same with driftwood? ;)

• 2 weeks later...