Hydor external Heaters

corrosionjerry

I installed a couple of these heaters over the last couple of weeks... IMO they are great... no more heaters inside a couple of my tanks and from what I understand they are more efficient then the internal heaters thus they save on the old power bill. I have been monitoring the temp of the tanks and everything looks good....

What size tanks?

And what size heaters? Tank temp etc

Purchased the 300watt units / tanks installed on are 55 G and 75G

THE 200watt and 300watt versions are exactly the same price.

I believe the 300 watt is rated for tanks up to 66G but the location of my 75 is near a heat source that is about 70Pluss all the time so I believe it should be good to go.. been monitoring the temp ... the thermometer is on the opposite side of the tank furthest away from the outflow... and the tank temp is exactly what the target of the heater is set at on both tanks :shifty:

Both of the tanks are running Rena XP3 canisters and the splice into the hosing was very easy and quick...

I find that the differential temperature between room temp and tank temp will also determine the wattage needed.

I've been running one of the 300 watt heaters on my plywood ray tank (just under 200 gallons) since I first filled it and have been very happy with it so far. It's always nice to get one more 'eyesore' out of the tank, if possible. Tank is kept at abot 84F and it doesn't appear to be on excessively or anything like that.

I also run the 300 watt unit on my 90 gallon and it is rock solid. No variation in temperature and been running for 1 year hassle free.

Pisces (Calgary) and Big Al's (Edmonton) are 2 sources that I know of locally to get them. Others?

I know that Trident Pet Supplies in the west end had some too. www.ilovemypet.com

I'm tempted to get a couple, esp. now if the power bill isn't going to go up. You are so right Kyle, getting rid of eyesores would be great. I'm thinking I'd like to put it on the nasties' (redhead and dovii) tanks so they have to find something else to play tetherball with . lol :D

I also run the 300 watt unit on my 90 gallon and it is rock solid. No variation in temperature and been running for 1 year hassle free.

Pisces (Calgary) and Big Al's (Edmonton) are 2 sources that I know of locally to get them. Others?

Anyone of the LFS that sell Hydor can order them in....

I hope some of the other manufatures of heaters start making external heaters... I am convinced its the way to go.....

It would be nice to come up with some invisible or something that blends in filter intake and outflow piping..

Jerry - there are some new HOB's (don't remember who makes them) that have the heater as part of the intake, and there are also undergravel heaters as well. There are also Eheims with heaters built in too. I don't know how much more 'hidden' you could get than being able to place a heater on almost any canister filters' lines, and placing those lines completely out of the way.

Jerry - there are some new HOB's (don't remember who makes them) that have the heater as part of the intake, and there are also undergravel heaters as well. There are also Eheims with heaters built in too. I don't know how much more 'hidden' you could get than being able to place a heater on almost any canister filters' lines, and placing those lines completely out of the way.

I guess I didnt explain that well...LOL

I meant.... to bad there wasnt a better way to hide the rest of the gadgets in the tank the inflow and outflow piping from any type of filter...

I do remember now seeing the rena HOB filters with heaters attatched... so that is a good alternative for a people that uses HOB filters to have one less gadget in the tank

Drilling tanks is about the best way to get EVERYTHING out of the tank. You can hid the overflow and inlets quite easily that way. :) Then everything's out of the main tank and in the sump.