Moving with fish and aquariums...

I need some advice... At the end of this month (hopefully) we are moving to the Lower Mainland in BC. I have a 58g tank with clown loaches, rainbows, and African butterfly fish... a 33g with geophagus iporangensis, firemouths and kuhli's... what is the best way to transport these guys... ? we are driving from Edmonton to BC, so it will be probably about 14 hours transport time, then I don't know exactly how long it will take me to get the tanks set back up again...

Personally, if it was me I would probably sell everything alive and start over again as 14hrs is a long way off.

That being said if you are up for a lot of work you might be able to put everything alive into one or two really large rubbermaid containers (You can find them practically as big as that 33g tank), buy a battery operated airator or use a regular airator or powerhead at the surface of the water with one of those portable battery packs with 3 prong outlets and airate the water that way. Make sure fish have not eaten 24 hours before making the trip.

Another option would be the more labor intensive and do it the way shippers do: double bag each fish with pure oxygen and clean H20 (make sure they have not eaten for at least 24 hours prior or they will foul the bags fast), put these into an insulated styrofoam container and if it is chilly include a heat pack. If I was choosing this option I would bring along a couple of the rubbermaid containers I mentioned and use those as temporary tanks at the new place (with your filter) until I got the tanks up and running again.

I think there are some people that say fasting the fish for 24 hrs is best but I have also heard others say for 48 hrs (especially with messy ammonia producers).

Edited by sharuq1

You can bag them using bag buddies and transport them in coolers. a lot of the fish at the local auctions spend 24 hours in the bag. Also once you arrive there you could do water changes in the bags.

When I moved from N.S. to Edmonton I had a friend "babysit" for a few weeks until I got to Edmonton, got set up then he shipped the fish out. I had no losses and things couldn't have worked out better. Keep in mind that I had 3 large tanks of fish and sold the ones that I found more readily available (Tangs and Malawians) but shipped the large Clown Loaches and some of the larger South/Central Americans.

Good luck with the move.

Stacey

Don't feed your fish for a couple days before the move. Bag them w. about 1/3 water, and add a bit of Prime. Keeping the bags in a cooler will help keep them from cooking. Bag buddies are like a sedative which will help keep your fish calm for the ride.

or you could buy a converter at Canadian tire that plugs into your cigerrette lighter and power an air pump and a heater?

Edited by CORVETTE

So where does one find bag buddies in Edmonton? I think bagging them with the bag buddies and prime, then transporting in coolers will be the best option for me. I really don't want to sell any of my fish, however there is one tank of platys that will be going up for sale soon because they are inexpensive fish to replace.

or you could buy a converter at Canadian tire that plugs into your cigerrette lighter and power an air pump and a heater?
exactly what i would do. use the smaller rubbermaids and run a powerbar off the converter to run multiple pumps and airstones. thats really not a long time in the bins, especially with an airstone.i would 86 the common readily available fish too, no sense in overstocking the bins. good luck to ya, hope ya have no casualties.