Came home from Show to a Surprize!

BlackMumba

So, before I went to the show I had to get water changes done this is a very busy week for the both of us Pat and myself.

I get home, and immediately go to feed my fish... adding in some zuccine (sp) :unsure: and waiting to watch my Pleco's come for the din din's... casually browsing the tank, watching my collection of shrimps investigating the large white and green thing in their space.. feed the two white cloud minnow's and my lonely guppy female.

Something darts in front of me... a FRY ? WHAT a FRY ? Incredible... Surprized because My guppy which i randomly bought with another female and male.. at a pet store that just opened up in Leduc..

Well, the male and the other female.. died the following day.. and the guppy I have now was super sick I managed to save her..

This was only a couple weeks ago... she didn't have a dark spot on her you could see straight through her she wasn't in the male tank either..

So, now I am thinking seriously, was it a minnow fry? I do have two.. and lots of plants too humm... but the fry looks like a guppy ... no it can't be the minnow's fry the tail looks like a guppy.

Anyways, my guppy does not look any thinner then before.. there is no difference in her look at all.. I know what they look like after giving birth its really bizzare ...

I believe its the guppy's just a really wierd situation lol although happy... I really missed having guppy babies around.

:thumbs:

Cool, congrats! If you want a guppy then I hope it is a guppy for you. :)

Hi, Guppy females can store sperm for months. Just because a female guppy is alone doesn't mean she never met a male, especially in a pet store. You bought her with another male and female guppy that didn't make it, the male may have made his move and then died. Sorry that you lost them. You also said that she was ill this can slow their gestation down as they try to get better. Feed her well and she may keep giving you babies for the next few months if everything goes well. Also some female guppies don't get the tell tale sign of pregnacy the black spot-some are clear, some are only a light color. Any fry are a wonderful addition for the tank. Hope you little mystery baby grows up to be a strong fish.

:thumbs: Thanks, well that is not the only surprise in the tank...

I also found some baby shrimp... now I know my black crystal shrimp has eggs... and it appeared to be a baby black crystal shrimp hard to tell smallish but I did manage to find a cherry shrimp in the moss I moved from my daughters tank... so I am confused if its cherry or black crystal ...

Either way I am delighted, also I purchased at the auction on Monday, a few Pingu Guppies...

Well, I said I will have babies soon, and today I came home to a tank full of Pingu Guppies!!

Not only that PHEW I KNOW... its been busy in my tanks I tell ya... :smokey: My Amano Shrimp are holding eggs too... but I believe they won't grow unless I have a brackish tank.

Now I have the equipment to make one, do I put the mama shrimp into brackish from fresh or wait until she releases them.. (two amano shrimp holding eggs atm) then put them in the brackish tank????

How long do I keep them the babies if they survive in the brackish tank... or do I even need to do this step? I haven't seen anywheres that says differently...

If someone knows about breeding Amano shrimp I would appreciate any advice given

Thanks.

Wow you sure came home to some fin times in the tank. They almost sound like rebellious teenagers who's parents are away. I'm a bit envious because i would love a tank full of babies to wach grow. Anyway congrats and i hope the baby shrimp do well.

Lisa

Congratulations on your new babies!

I lost all my amano shrimp by trying to adjust them to salt water.

This site has some good info on amano shrimp http://www.suiso.com/v2/modules.php?name=N...ticle&sid=2

Sorry about the loss of your amanos.

I have some in brackish water and several of the big females are carrying eggs. I don't hold out any hope of raising any. That is a good article on Amano shrimp and in keeping with everything I have read. We can still dream that our own set up will have everything magically right and will be that one that succeeds where others fail.

Keep on trying!

I lost all my amano shrimp by trying to adjust them to salt water.

This site has some good info on amano shrimp http://www.suiso.com/v2/modules.php?name=N...ticle&sid=2

Sorry about the loss of your amanos.

I have some in brackish water and several of the big females are carrying eggs. I don't hold out any hope of raising any. That is a good article on Amano shrimp and in keeping with everything I have read. We can still dream that our own set up will have everything magically right and will be that one that succeeds where others fail.

Keep on trying!

So, basically nobody is really sure if brackish water helps keep them alive?? The information I am reading so far, they believe brackish but they aren't 100% sure of this... its all speculation.

I am going to keep my girls in the tank, just to see what transpires ... prob, nothing and will loose them all.. next go around I will have them in brackish and try my luck again, if nothing... Sigh I am out of options !

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

I found an extremely detailed breeding experiment documenting every detail on this...

It can explain the do's and dont's on breeding..

Your not supposed to put the female in the brackish water only larve... they also don't like to live in brackish water they eggs won't develop if they are in brackish..

I am going to give this a go!

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

I found an extremely detailed breeding experiment documenting every detail on this...

It can explain the do's and dont's on breeding..

Your not supposed to put the female in the brackish water only larve... they also don't like to live in brackish water they eggs won't develop if they are in brackish..

I am going to give this a go!

That article is amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

Good luck with this endeavor!