earthworms.....

With the rain in Edmonton, the earthworms have come out. Can I gather them and feed them to my fish ? If they are from a chemical free garden, then I don't see any problem, but such a garden will be hard to find.

Has anyone else tried feeding earthworms before ? I am thinking of making a floating live bait container with holes in it, so that worms can wriggle out.. and I have angels, rasboras and tetras.

Thanks in advance...

Raj

I've feed earthworms from my garden and red wiggler compost worms in the winter months. We only use compost in our vegetable garden, no chemical ferts or pesticides, so i'm not too worried about chemicals hurting the fish.

The fish go crazy for them, especially my angels. I usually cut them up, as most of the worms I find are a bit big for them to eat in 1 bite. Its funny to watch loaches play tug of war over a worm.

They make "worm feeders" for tanks. Its a little plastic cone with holes in it. I dont' know if the holes are big enough for earthworms though. Red wigglers would probably fit.

I've feed earthworms from my garden and red wiggler compost worms in the winter months. We only use compost in our vegetable garden, no chemical ferts or pesticides, so i'm not too worried about chemicals hurting the fish.

The fish go crazy for them, especially my angels. I usually cut them up, as most of the worms I find are a bit big for them to eat in 1 bite. Its funny to watch loaches play tug of war over a worm.

They make "worm feeders" for tanks. Its a little plastic cone with holes in it. I dont' know if the holes are big enough for earthworms though. Red wigglers would probably fit.

I was all stoked to try this. Went outside with a cup and didn't find a single earthworm! Of course, I didn't exactly try really hard either lol. Scared of lifting up a rock or something and finding swarms of them :shock:

If you find them on the street, just leave them in a cup of water for 24 hrs - they'll expell all the crap in their gut, and should be good to feed. I've done this many times w/o problems.

On a frog forum I am a member of, this topic came up often. Like one of the posters on that forum pointed out, keep in mind that earthworms will travel for kilometers under the ground. Just because you don't use pesticides doesn't mean that your neighbours don't. There is an inherent risk involved in using "wild" worms. Wild worms can also introduce other pathogens and parasites. Given how hard some of my amphibians have been to acquire, I've never been willing to take that risk. I prefer to use worms from bait shops, instead.

If you're as paranoid (and cheap ;) ) as I am, another option is to start up an enclosed worm farm (i.e., no contact with the outside world - although the farm could be kept outdoors) and raise them yourself. They make for an excellent compost bin and their castings can be used in your garden or indoor planters.

I'm surprised that the fish have enjoyed the red wiggler compost worms. When cut, they give off a horrible tasting fluid that most amphibians cannot stand. Maybe fish aren't as discerning (or fussy) as amphibians?

I'm surprised that the fish have enjoyed the red wiggler compost worms. When cut, they give off a horrible tasting fluid that most amphibians cannot stand. Maybe fish aren't as discerning (or fussy) as amphibians?

Really? I never knew that. I feed red wigglers to my box turtle, crayfish and my fish and they have always gobbled them up. Maybe they eat them so fast they don't have time to taste ,lol.

I've used earthworms w/o any problems. I too clean them up in water first. The red wrigglers have been gobbled up too but I mostly feed these to my larger S/A cichlids. The biggest chicken is my dovii. She allows the worms to crawl about freely in the tank until it looks like I left the room .LOL

FrogFan made an excellent point. Unless you are 100% certain that the collection location of your worms is free from pesticides, insecticides, and other assorted toxins, you're taking a risk by feeding them to your fish. Also, as with all live foods there is also the risk of introducing pathogens and or parasites that your fish may not be capable of coping with.

Just as with LFS feeders, your safest bet is to raise them yourself.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I think I will try Jason's idea about keeping them in water for a day and then feeding them. I was also thinking of starting my own culture (like FrogFan suggested), but in an apartment, it maybe too tight. Will try this later when MTS will really kick in.... :smokey: