L. caeruleus vs N. leleupi

Cap'n

I would like some opinions regarding the huge popularity of labs over loopies.

They are both bright flashes of yellow in an african cichlid tank, similarly sized and exhibit interesting behaviour. Why are labs preferred the majority of times?

Is it because they are Malawi cichlids which in turn are more popular than Tanganyikan?

Is it because the popularity has been there so long than the demand is self replicating?

What is it?

Thanks,

Cpt Curious

Hard to beat the intense color of a yellow lab. I don't think youll find any leleupi that have color like this.

labf9.jpg

laB-TANK8.jpg

Not to mention the fact that labs are much easier to keep in large numbers, than leleupi. (due to their aggression level)

It has nothng to do with price, most labs that I see for sale are very poor quality.

RD- that first pic of your yellow labs looks plastic :P Incredible color

I think more people have yellow labs then leleupi becuase more people seem to have malawi tanks then tang tanks. Also leleupi are harder to keep in groups becuase they are more aggresive. I have to agree with everything said so far :) . Aggression, types of tanks(more people seem to have malawis), looks(nothing beats a nicely colored yellow lab) are all good points. Plus yellow labs breed like rabbits so you are bound to see more of them around

Kyle - I believe that Leleupi can be found in two various color morphs. I htink some people are also line breeding them.

But the fact remains, yellow labs will 'fit' into most African tanks, where Leleupi won't always work due to their aggression.

So it's not really fair for me to pit one fish against another, it is more like personal preference of lakes and how each fish fits into a person's tanks.

Kyle and RD, you're both right. Leleupi have more of an orange tone to them and they do come in yellow and orange morphs.

Kyle, I notice you have some loopies, you didn't happen to bring those back from Africa, did you?

Thanks for the input everyone. I have only kept leleupi and was wondering what I was missing out on. Sounds like a good idea for a tank in the furure.

• 2 weeks later...